Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard holds a special place in the Winehog history, as this was the first Domaine I visited as a official blogger – about two years ago. And what can I say ?… good to be back!.
The style of Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard
A bit about the style at Jean-Nöel Gagnard. In my view the wines are classic well made terroir driven Chassagnes. The style of each individual wine is defined by the terroir and not by the domaine style – and all the work with biodynamic farming is really paying off here – see more in my article from the 2012 visit at Domaine Jean-Noel Gagnard.
In short lovely quite intense classic Chassagne wines … I drink these wines with great pleasure and they deserve your attention.
The 2012 vintage at Jean-Nöel Gagnard
The 2012s from Caroline Lestimé are truly gorgeous Chassagnes with a aromatic purity and refinement rarely seen from this appellation. Compared to the 2010 I tasted last time … the 2012s seem crystal clear and transparent with a very pure expression of the Chardonnay fruit. The 2010s have a more powerful aromatic profile often with a slight hint of botrytis that enriches the expression. I love the 2010s for the intensity and force of nature like power … but I must say that I really adore the 2012s for their refinement …. even the Morgeot is delicate and refined in the 2012 vintage at Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard.
Summing up … very delightful 2012s …. and then to the tasting notes.
Tasting notes from the tasting of Jean-Nöel Gagnard 2012s
The wines were tasted from bottle at the domaine on March 17th 2014.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Hautes-Cote de Beaune Blanc 2012
The Hautes-Cote de Beaune blanc – Sous Eguisons – 2012 is a quite delicate effort for this level. The nose is quite forward brimming with cool white fruit and a discrete citrus infused minerality. On the palate good fruit with a nice balance and focus. Offer fine drinkability and pleasure.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumes 2012
The Chassagne Les Chaumes is a classic wine from the appellation. In the nose rich orchard fruits … forward and charming … focused by a citrus driven minerality. On the palate good weight for this level – focused by a quite crisp acidity and a nice minerality for this level. Love the freshness in this wine … a honest and quite vibrant Chassagne village.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Masures 2012
The Les Masures (village) is a step up from Les Chaumes – although its slightly closed at the moment. The nose is showing signs of reduction – but one can still appreciate the lovely white orchard fruits and the quite delicate minerality. On the palate more refined and focused with a quite delicate fruit and structure for this level. Really loved this effort for its delicate display of Chassagne terroir – needs time to unfold though.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevottes 2012
The Chenevottes is quite a step up from the village level – very expressive and quite rich. In the nose rich and intense orchard fruits – with hints of some more tropical fruits – all brought forward by a citrusy and flinty minerality. On the palate rich, quite openly knit with a lovely fresh acidity and a playful minerality. Love the extrovert fruit and display of flinty minerality – always a treat to taste the Chenevottes from this house.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumees 2012
I have a soft spot for the Chaumees vineyard – with it’s limestone minerality and balance. In the nose its very extrovert with a bit more sweetness in the fruit than the Chenevottes – notes of yellow fruit with hints of peach, pineapple and hazelnuts. On the palate very harmonious and delicate with a rich but airy fruit – effortless and quite refined for this level – displaying the fine qualities of this vintage. Just love this vineyard!
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Champs-Gain 2012
Les Champs-Gain is one of the powerful 1er crus of Chassagene – and to be honest not one of my favorite vineyards in this appellation. In the nose rich and ripe yellow fruit – intense and almost dense aromas with a quite strong element of tropical fruit – supported with a quite tightly knit minerality. On the palate same story – intense and deep fruit – quite weighty midpalate – but still quite refined with a long and layered finish. A very fine year for Les Champs-Gain – but as always slightly too rich for my palate – but nevertheless at the same level as Les Chaumees.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroye 2012
Clos de la Maltroye is a more classical Chassagne – with a lovely balance. In the nose rich yellow fruit with a nice lovely balance from the expressive minerality. On the palate very pure and airy fruit – a lovely crisp acidity and a nicely focused minerality. A balanced and harmonious effort – lovely.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet La Boudriotte 2012
The Boudriotte 2012 is a quite delicate effort with a lovely display of white flowers and sweet white orchard fruits balanced by a lovely citrus infused minerality. On the palate quite delicate fruit with a crisp and refined balancing acidity – pure and fresh. Love the floral character and the delicate fresh acidity in this wine – a delightfully pure classic Chassagne.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Blanchots-Dessus 2012
The Blanchots-Dessus is among the most powerful of the Chassagne vineyards. The 2012 edition of the Blanchots-Dessus is nevertheless a quite refined effort from this intense vineyard. In the bouquet rich and slightly dense yellow orchard fruit – balanced by a citrus infused minerality. On the palate rich almost silky but with a strong minerality boosting the wine. Its quite refined and light-footed for a Blanchots-Dessus and offer a rich and powerful side of the Chassagene wines. Normally a bit on the rich side for my palate – but with the purity and refinement of the 2012 vintage – this wine somehow is spot on for a rich and powerful Chassagne.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Petits Clos 2012
The Morgeot Les Petits Clos is a more masculine wine than many of the other Chassagne 1er crus – but the 2012 edition of this wine is surprisingly refined and delicate. In the nose very pure white and yellow orchard fruits – notes of pear, apricots – hints of white flowers … infused with a quite powerful citrusy minerality. On the palate very harmonious and refined for a Morgeot – the fruit is very pure and delicate and somehow the minerality seem more refined and filigree than seen in earlier vintages of this wine. A very elegant and delicate Morgeot – impressive.
Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Caillerets 2012
There are many fine vineyards in Chassagne-Montrachet – but Les Caillerets is in a league of its own. The 2012 Caillerets from Jean-Nöel Gagnard confirms this status. The nose is delicately refined with airy white orchard fruit and a filigree citrus infused minerality. On the palate very refined pure fruit – airy and delicate – with an almost creamy texture. The acidity is fresh and crisp and offer a perfect balance to the rich cool fruit and the filigree minerality. Effortless refinement – adore this terroir and this wine.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Blanchots-Dessus 2012 July 12, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Masures 2012 July 11, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chaumes 2012 July 9, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chenevottes 2012 June 26, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chaumees 2012 June 23, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Caillerets 2012 June 20, 2014
- Jean-Noel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chenevottes 2010 August 16, 2012
- Jean-Noel Gagnard, Chassagne Morgeot 1er cru 2008 July 23, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Champs-Gain 2010 May 21, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroye 2010 May 19, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumees 2010 May 16, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chenevottes 2010 May 16, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Blanchot-Dessus 2010 May 12, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Les Caillerets 2010 May 11, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chaumes 2010 May 10, 2012
- Clos Saint-Jean … the red Grand Cru of Chassagne-Montrachet? I have always enjoyed a good glass of red Chassagne as they often offer a very lively and vibrant expression of pinot noir. Often have I been drinking these wines for mere pleasure and without analyzing the wines and taking a closer look at why I adore these somewhat overlooked beauties. Chassagne-Montrachet Clos Saint-Jean – Photo: Google ...
- Collins Corner #2 – the forgotten Santenay This weeks article from C. Robert Collins is about another of the overlooked but great reds of Cote de Beaune: “When history jumps up – the forgotten Santenay” The search for great wine vineyards can involve studying maps or researching list of owners of famous crus, or sometimes a wine just jumps up and grabs your attention ...
- Once Mont Rachet now Blanchot .. the unknown neighbour! The vineyard Blanchot Dessus is located just south of Le Montrachet – the Chassagne part of the legendary Grand Cru Montrachet. Blanchots Dessus seen from south Blanchot Dessus is a small and relatively unknown vineyard with few owners – somewhat overlooked compared to its more famours nighbours Montrachet and Criots-Batard Montrachet. But what is the history of this ...
- Visit at Jean-Nöel Gagnard – tasting of the 2012 vintage Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard holds a special place in the Winehog history, as this was the first Domaine I visited as a official blogger – about two years ago. And what can I say ?… good to be back!. The style of Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard A bit about the style at Jean-Nöel Gagnard. In my view the wines ...
- One year with the WineHog Time really flies … and it’s now exactly one year since I launched WineHog.org in Juliy 2011. During this year I realized that blogging about fine wine is quite a lot of hard work, but fortunately also very rewarding and a lot of fun. I have tasted a lot of good wines during the first year, ...