I was doing a education session about Pommard with a private client, and he opened the the Pommard Epenots 2010 from Lucien Le Moine to accompany our talk about the Pommard and Volnay appellations – see more about the Winehog Education Sessions here. This wine is a perfect illustration of how austere and old school a Pommard can be – luckily some Pommards are more playful and enjoyable …
The 2010 Epenots is currently a brutal wine – still very tannic and backward with the intense fruit sleeping behind the firm structure of tannins and minerality. The nose offer dark fruit, plenty of structural information wheras the more charming fruit notes are held in the background. The palate is dominated by tannins and minerality – making it almost painful to enjoy currently. After some time in the glass the fruit expands and the tannins become more mellow. This is a wine that will need – I fear 20 years more in the cellar – to unfold fully – and somehow I believe it will acturally be even Very Fine when it does.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne Clos du Chateau 2009 January 3, 2020
- Henri Boillot Corton-Charlemagne 2017 December 5, 2019
- Domaine Robert Groffier Chambolle Les Amoureuses “Cuvée Blonde” 2016 November 21, 2019
- Domaine d’Eugenie Grands Echezeaux 2014 November 21, 2019
- Domaine Naudin-Ferrand Côte de Nuits Villages «Viola Odorata» 2012 November 5, 2019
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Romanée-Saint-Vivant 2009 – 7 years after October 23, 2019
- Domaine Leflaive, Puligny-Montrachet Les Pucelles 2000 October 13, 2019
- Hope for an old Romanée-Conti, and a delightful Dujac 1976 September 27, 2019
- Domaine Robert Groffier Chambolle Les Hauts Doix 2010 September 4, 2019
- Domaine Dublère, Charmes-Chambertin 2006 September 1, 2019
- Domaine Lafouge, Auxey-Duresse Climat du Val 2016 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Vosne-Romanee “Les Barreaux” 2017 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Bourgogne Passetoutgrain rosé 2018 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Bourgogne Passetoutgrain rosé 2017 July 30, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2009 July 26, 2019
- La Ferme de Saint Roux, Friponne rosé 2018 July 24, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Corton “Cuvée Baie par Baie” 2017 July 23, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Zenith Vineyard 2016 July 14, 2019
- Château-Grillet 2008 June 29, 2019
- Domaine d’Eugenie, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Perclos 2015 June 29, 2019
- Visit to Domaine Georges Glantenay – tasting the 2018s Domaine Georges Glantenay is the second of two well-known Glantenay estates in Volnay, the other being Bernard and Thierry Glantenay, whom I visited in July 2019. Domaine Georges Glantenay is located quite high in the village, but also has a more visible shop in the very centre of Volnay just below the church. Domaine Georges Glantenay is ...
- Visit to Domaine Meo-Camuzet – tasting the 2018s Domaine Méo-Camuzet has a special aura, and a special place in my Burgundy history as both a link to the old master Henri Jayer and a connection to the core of Vosne-Romanee history. I have followed the Méo-Camuzet wines for many years, and have been very impressed by the progress at the estate, especially after 2007. ...
- Visit to Domaine Michel Mallard – tasting the red 2018s I’m back below the Corton hill in Ladoix-Serrigny, visiting Michel Mallard at his family estate that is conveniently called … Domaine Michel Mallard, after his grandfather. For a bit more info on the Michel Mallard estate check the article about the white 2018s. Ladoix a part of Aloxe and Corton Ladoix-Serrigny contains a part of the Corton hill ...
- Visit to Domaine Michel Mallard – tasting the white 2018s I’m back below the Corton hill in Ladoix-Serrigny, visiting Michel Mallard at his family estate that is conveniently called … Domaine Michel Mallard, after his grandfather. Domaine Michel Mallard is one of the more prominent and well-known estates in Ladoix, as Michel is also the winemaker at Domaine d’Eugenie in Vosne-Romanée, while at the same time ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Robert Sirugue Grands Echezeaux Grands Echezeaux is experiencing a revival, with producers like Georges Noëllat, Coquard-Loison-Fleurot, Jean-Marc Millot and Domaine Robert Sirugue improving quality in this appellation, after Domaine de la Romanée-Conti also took some impressive leaps forward quality-wise with its Grands Echezeaux. In this article, I will take a closer look at the Grands Echezeaux from Domaine Robert Sirugue, ...
- Visit to Domaine Dujac – tasting the 2018s The Winehog has a long history with Domaine Dujac, as I have followed it since the early 1990s. I have tasted many wines even further back – including a delightful 1976 Clos St. Denis that is a benchmark for hot vintages, alongside some 1947s and perhaps a few 1959s from other domaines. After tasting many 2018s, ...
- Visit to Domaine Cathiard – tasting the 2018s from cask I’m back at Domaine Cathiard after missing the 2017s last winter. And YES, it is good to be back. Cathiard has certainly taken its place in the Vosne hierarchy as a regular, dependable producer of hedonistic and very enjoyable wines. These are great wines. So let’s get thrilled … Photo: Sebastien Cathiard, November 2019 Impression and notes from tasting ...
- Visit to Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – tasting the 2018s The 2009 vintage at Domaine Comte Liger-Belair has really blossomed after years of waiting, and is now showing the true beauty of the vintage. The wines are refined and have excellent balance for such a generous, warm year. In fact, some of the 2009s today almost – but not quite – match the fantastic 2010s from ...