I was doing a education session about Pommard with a private client, and he opened the the Pommard Epenots 2010 from Lucien Le Moine to accompany our talk about the Pommard and Volnay appellations – see more about the Winehog Education Sessions here. This wine is a perfect illustration of how austere and old school a Pommard can be – luckily some Pommards are more playful and enjoyable …
The 2010 Epenots is currently a brutal wine – still very tannic and backward with the intense fruit sleeping behind the firm structure of tannins and minerality. The nose offer dark fruit, plenty of structural information wheras the more charming fruit notes are held in the background. The palate is dominated by tannins and minerality – making it almost painful to enjoy currently. After some time in the glass the fruit expands and the tannins become more mellow. This is a wine that will need – I fear 20 years more in the cellar – to unfold fully – and somehow I believe it will acturally be even Very Fine when it does.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie Vosne-Romanee Les Barreaux 2018 September 10, 2020
- Domaine Georges Roumier Chambolle-Musigny 2015 September 8, 2020
- Domaine Serafin Gevrey- Chambertin Les Cazetiers 2018 September 1, 2020
- Domaine Denis Carré Meursault Tillets 2017 September 1, 2020
- Domaine Georges Roumier Chambolle Musigny Les Combottes 2010 September 1, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Genevrieres 1990 July 4, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Genevrieres 1988 July 1, 2020
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux 1992 June 30, 2020
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Charmes 2007 June 27, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Charmes 2001 June 27, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Genevrieres 1989 June 26, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Goutte d’Or 1988 June 26, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: a Chambolle surprise June 25, 2020
- Domaine Fabien Coche Meursault Les Chevalières 2017 June 24, 2020
- Domaine Fabien Coche Meursault Goutte d’Or 2017 June 24, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: a delightful La Framboisière June 19, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: the fresh Montagny June 13, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: the generous white Mercurey June 10, 2020
- Domaine Naudin-Ferrand Côte de Nuits Villages «Viola Odorata» 2016 June 9, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: the vivid Ladoix June 8, 2020
- A Burgundy of Danish origin – Thomas Dam in BrochonLast week I had the chance to sample a wine from the second vintage of Thomas Dam – a Danish Burgundy enthusiast and geek. This time Thomas has taken on Brochon, on the border with Fixin and a kissing cousin of Gevrey-Chambertin. The cuvee, Côte de Nuits Villages Queue de Harang 2018, is from the top ...
- More Coche – Fabien CocheThis is a strange year. I normally would have visited Fabien Coche a long time ago, but due to the multiple lockdowns, I never got the chance. And Fabien Coche truly deserves a visit. He is near the top of my list when the world gets back closer to normal again. Fortunately, Fabien’s Danish importer put on ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine des Croix Corton-CharlemagneDavid Croix has opened my eyes to red Corton, with his work at both Camille Giraud and Domaine des Croix. I have, however, little experience with the Corton-Charlemagne from David, as I usually taste his reds quite early in their maturation, when the whites are not yet ready for sampling. The Corton-Charlemagne is from vineyards owned ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine des Croix Corton Les GrèvesDavid Croix has opened my eyes to red Corton, with his work at both Camille Giroud and Domaine des Croix. As I mentioned in a previous article, David Croix is for me one of Corton’s masters. He has the ability to transform this big grand cru into a hedonistic treasure and a true wine of pleasure. The ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Morey-Coffinet Chassagne Blanchot DessusMontrachet is a legendary vineyard, and while its boundaries have been fixed since 1921, some neighbouring plots and parcels are more closely related to it than others. Thibault Morey has three plots located very close to the promised land. The first is his Batard-Montrachet, located a wall- and road-width below Domaine Leflaive’s holding in the mythical ...