I was doing a education session about Pommard with a private client, and he opened the the Pommard Epenots 2010 from Lucien Le Moine to accompany our talk about the Pommard and Volnay appellations – see more about the Winehog Education Sessions here. This wine is a perfect illustration of how austere and old school a Pommard can be – luckily some Pommards are more playful and enjoyable …
The 2010 Epenots is currently a brutal wine – still very tannic and backward with the intense fruit sleeping behind the firm structure of tannins and minerality. The nose offer dark fruit, plenty of structural information wheras the more charming fruit notes are held in the background. The palate is dominated by tannins and minerality – making it almost painful to enjoy currently. After some time in the glass the fruit expands and the tannins become more mellow. This is a wine that will need – I fear 20 years more in the cellar – to unfold fully – and somehow I believe it will acturally be even Very Fine when it does.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Aladame 2019s February 5, 2021
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie Vosne-Romanee Les Barreaux 2018 September 10, 2020
- Domaine Georges Roumier Chambolle-Musigny 2015 September 8, 2020
- Domaine Serafin Gevrey- Chambertin Les Cazetiers 2018 September 1, 2020
- Domaine Denis Carré Meursault Tillets 2017 September 1, 2020
- Domaine Georges Roumier Chambolle Musigny Les Combottes 2010 September 1, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Genevrieres 1990 July 4, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Genevrieres 1988 July 1, 2020
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux 1992 June 30, 2020
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Charmes 2007 June 27, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Charmes 2001 June 27, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Genevrieres 1989 June 26, 2020
- Comte Lafon Meursault Goutte d’Or 1988 June 26, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: a Chambolle surprise June 25, 2020
- Domaine Fabien Coche Meursault Les Chevalières 2017 June 24, 2020
- Domaine Fabien Coche Meursault Goutte d’Or 2017 June 24, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: a delightful La Framboisière June 19, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: the fresh Montagny June 13, 2020
- Faiveley summer wines: the generous white Mercurey June 10, 2020
- Domaine Naudin-Ferrand Côte de Nuits Villages «Viola Odorata» 2016 June 9, 2020
- Visit to Domaine Robert Groffier – tasting the 2019sWhat a week, tasting with names like Charles Lachaux, Comte Georges de Vogue, Grivot, and finally Robert Groffier, where Nicolas has produced fantastic wines equalling his very best vintages. Nicolas Groffier did very well with the 2018s, but his 2019s are even better: fresher, more gourmand, more hedonistic and simply more vin d’émotion. Lively acidity on the ...
- Domaine Seguin Manuel – a sneak peakSeguin Manuel is one of the older Burgundy houses – or should I same names – dating back to 1824. The Winehog’s history with this name is somewhat shorter, although I have tasted wines from the estate going back to 1929 (a still very fresh Corton-Charlemagne at age 70 or so, tasted in the mid-’90s). Seguin ...
- Tasting the 2019s at Domaine Arnoux-LachauxExpectations – divine expectations! Charles Lachaux is making some giant quality leaps, possibly even surpassing many of the current top-end domaines in Burgundy. His progress is that notable, made through hard work and dedication, and by making some very rapid, important changes in viticulture that can only be described as dramatic and fundamental. The 2019s are ...
- Burgundy Viticulture 101: 1Viticulture is a very important part of winemaking. Many would say the most important part, believing that wines are made in the vineyard, not in the cellar. I have therefore decided to take a closer look at different viticultural practices while I walk and bike through the vineyards. 101: 1 14/02/2021 This first article will examine a new ...
- Arnoux-Lachaux Viticulture – Procès 1Charles Lachaux, the head of Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux in Vosne-Romanee, is currently amongst the most dynamic viticulturalists in Burgundy. His changes and improvements at the estate are moving forward with incredible speed. 16/02/2021 I have therefore decided to follow closely the viticultural progress in one – or perhaps two – of the Lachaux vineyards, to experience and hopefully ...