On my recent visit to Burgundy I had the opportunity to visit one of the new and rising stars of Burgundy – Domaine Dublere.
Domaine Dublere was founded in 2003 by the American political journalist Blair Pethel. The first vintage was 2004, and the domaine has since then gradually expanded the production and portfolio of wines – check Domaine Dublere’s website for further info
Domaine Dublere now makes quite a large a selection of both white and red Burgundies – all of very high quality given the individual appelation. All the wines are very pure, intense, quite light-footed and with a precise and transparent expression of the terroir.
Make no mistake – Blair Pethel might be born in the USA, but his wines are more Bourgundian than a lot of the wines produced by otherwise wellknown “local” producers in the area.
I have followed Domaine Dublere since the 2007 vintage and always loved the transparent and terroir driven style – and it was therefore a treat to get the opportunity to taste the 2011 vintage from cask.
Notes from tasting October 25th 2012
Domaine Dublere, Bourgogne Blanc – Les Millerandes 2011
The Bourgogne Blanc 2011 is a lovely wine for this level. The nose is offering quite expressive notes of straw, citrus, pear with hints of gooseberries. On the palate good body for the level, and a finely balanced quite crisp finish with fresh citrus notes. Lovely Bourgogne Blanc.
Domaine Dublere, Savigny Les Vergeless 2011
The Savigny Les Vergeless is a very good effort from this appelation. On the palate quite some reduction, fine citrus driven fruit with hints of apple and pear. On the palate lovely balanced and quite refined with a tight and focused fruit and a very nice minerality.
Domaine Dublere, Meursault Les Crotots 2011
The Les Crotots is a quite refined and delicate Meursault. In the bouquet lovely minerality with notes of pear, hazelnuts and citrus – hints of acacia are adding complexity. On the palate lovely rich fruityness – elegant – with a quite delicate minerality in the fresh and quite intense finish. A very good Meursault.
Domaine Dublere, Nuits-Saint-Georges Blanc 2011
The Nuits-Saint-Georges “Les Terre Blanc” is made from a blend of 15% Pinot Blanc and 85% Chardonney. On the palate slightly aloof, with notes of melon, pear and different citrus aromas – quite rich and round but framed by the slightly edgy minerality from the Cote de Nuits terroir. A good effort.
Domaine Dublere, Chassagne Montrachet Les Chaumees 2011
The Chassagne Les Chaumees is a lovely wine with a very fine terroir expression. In the bouquet white orchard fruit, with a quite stony minerality and citrus notes. On the palate excellent acidity and crisp minerality, very pure, rich and openly knit fruit with fine energy and freshness. A lovely Chassagne.
Domaine Dublere, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevotte 2011
The Chassagne Chenevottes is a somewhat deeper and more dense than Les Chaumees. In the bouquet apple, white orchard fruits and a lovely finely grained minerality. On the palate intense midpalate fruit with good concentration – the finish is long and lingering with a intense fruit. A bigger and more dense wine than the Chaumees – but both are very lovely wines.
Domaine Dublere, Corton Charlemagne 2011
The Corton Charlemagne 2011 from Domaine Dublere is a real beauty. In the bouquet lovely white orchard fruits with notes of apple, pear, citrus and gooseberries. On the palate lovely mineral driven fruit flavores, very refined and harmonious. The palate is quite rich and round for a Corton Charlemagne, but still very precise and focused with a impressive length and intensity. A beautiful wine.
Domaine Dublere, Chablis Les Preuses 2011
The Chablis Les Preuses 2011 is a fine effort … and a beautifully made Chablis. In the bouquet apple, citrus combined with oyster shells, oysters and a hint of gunpowder. On the palate a lovely fruit with a rich somewhat exotic core of intensity. It’s well focused with very good length and balance. A beautiful Chablis.
Domaine Dublere, Savigny-Les-Beaune 2011
The Savigny-Les -Beaune village is really showing. In the bouquet lovely red fruit with notes of forrest berries and red cherries – charming!. On the palate fresh and finely balanced fruit with good transparency – delicate fruit flavors. Not a big wine .. but a really adorable glass of pure pinot – impressive for this appelation.
Domaine Dublere, Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er cru 2011
The Savigny 1er cru is quite a step up in complexity and depth from the village. In the bouquet fine red fruit with sweeter notes of strawberries, raspberries, cherries and gooseberries. On the palate lovely intensity in the fruit, very transparent and balanced with a fine zappy minerality. A beautiful pinot … very impressive for this appelation and vintage.
Domaine Dublere, Beaune 1. cru Blanches Fleur 2011
The Beaune Blanches Fleur 1er cru is a quite rare bird coming from a relatively unknown terroir neighbouring Beaune Clos du Roi. This wine is produced from the upper and sandy part of this triangular vineyard. This terroir makes a quite interesting wine with a lovely full pinot expression. In the bouquet lovely fruit with notes of cherries, raspberries and hints of strawberries .. beautifully detailed with a good complexity. On the palate quite rich and rounded fruit finely balanced by a quite firm acidity backbone. A very good and interesting wine.
Domaine Dublere, Volnay Les Pitures 2011
The Volnay Les Pitures 1er cru 2011 is a lovely and delicate wine for this appelation. In the bouquet lovely red and darker fruits – forest berries and pomegranate – spiced with notes of violets and fine minerality. On the palate quite intense red fruit with a very good minerality and a quite zappy acidity. Medium bodied and with a quite long mineral driven finish. A lovely and very balanced Volnay.
Domaine Dublere, Volnay Taillipeids 2011
The Volnay Taillipeids 2011 is a step up in minerality and concentration. In the bouquet ripe pinot fruit with notes of foreest berries and jellied fruits. The nose also offers a fine vibrant minerality adding to the fine complexity. On the palate wonderfully balanced with a core of quite sweet fruit and a vibrant backbone of minerality and zappy acidity. The fruit is rich and jellied with a fine nerve and energy. A very beautiful Volnay – one of my favorite wines from this appelation.
Domaine Dublere, Morey-Saint-Denis Blancherds 1er cru 2011
The Morey-Saint-Denis Blanchards 1er cru is also one of my favorite wines from Domaine Dublere. In the bouquet it’s offering lovely complex red fruits with notes of red currant, strawberries and raspberries – spiced with a earthy minerality. On the palate a very sophisticated juicy fruit with layers of pure red pinot aromas – focused and elegant. It’s very well balanced and intense with a beautiful finesse. A truly lovely wine.
Domaine Dublere, Nuits-Saint-Georges Busselots 2011
The Nuits-Saint-Georges Busselots is small step up in concentration from the Morey Blanchards. In the nose slightly darker fruit with notes of red berries and a earthy minerality. On the palate lovely intense juicy fruit with a almost airy feel – very refined. The fruit aromas are jellied with a slightly candied notes – adding a nice nerve to the wine. It’s quite intense and very well balanced, with a more muscular finish than the Morey Blanchards. A fine wine indeed.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Dublère Corton-Charlemagne 2011 February 7, 2020
- Domaine Dublère, Charmes-Chambertin 2006 September 1, 2019
- Domaine Dublere, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumees 2010 August 14, 2016
- Domaine Dublère, Charmes Chambertin 2008 July 21, 2016
- Domaine Dublére, Morey-Saint-Denis Les Blanchards 2013 November 1, 2015
- Domaine Dublere, Meursault Les Crotots 2013 November 1, 2015
- Domaine Dublere, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumees 2013 November 1, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Bousselots 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Morey-Saint-Denis Les Blanchards 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Volnay Taillipeids 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Volnay Les Pitures 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Beaune Blanches Fleur 1er cru 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Savigny Les Planchots du Nord 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Corton Charlemagne 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Meursault Les Charmes 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevotte 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Chassagne Montrachet Les Chaumees 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Meursault Les Crotots 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Savigny Les Vergeless 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublère, Bourgogne Blanc – Les Millerandes 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dublére, Volnay Les Pitures 2010 September 7, 2014
- Domaine Dublere, Savigny-Les-Beaune Aux Vergelesses 2011 January 26, 2014
- Domaine Dublere, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumees 2011 November 15, 2013
- Domaine Dublere, Corton Charlemagne 2012 November 9, 2013
- Domaine Dublere, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevotte 2012 November 9, 2013
- Domaine Dublere, Chassagne Montrachet Les Chaumees 2012 November 9, 2013
- Domaine Dublere, Nuits-Saint-Georges Blanc 2012 November 9, 2013
- Domaine Dublere, Meursault Les Crotots 2012 November 9, 2013
- Domaine Dublere, Savigny Les Vergeless 2012 November 9, 2013
- Domaine Dublere, Bourgogne Blanc – Les Millerandes 2012 November 9, 2013
- Domaine Dublère sold One of my favourite Burgundian estates, Domaine Dublère, has been sold, and will continue as a part of Domaine des Terres de Velle. Blair Pethel, the founder of Domaine Dublère, has decided to pass the torch — and the estate vineyards and installations — to Sophie and Fabrice Laronze, the managers of Domaine des Terres de ...
- Visit Domaine Dublère – tasting of the 2017s reds from cask A lovely surprice this summer, as I had the chance to visit Blair Pethel at Domaine Dublère to taste the 2017s from cask. Blair was actually quite eager to taste the new vintage .. a very good sign to be honest … lovely wines in progress. After very good quality in 2015 and 2016 the 2017s finally ...
- Visit Domaine Dublère – tasting of the 2016s from cask Good to be back at Domaine Dublère to taste the 2016s. Blair Pethel also suffered from the struggle with mother nature in this vintage, as the Savigny-Les-Beaune region was badly hit by the April 2016 frost. It’s sad to see how the growers in this area of the Côte have to endure frost, hail and mildew ...
- Visit Domaine Dublère – tasting of the 2015s from cask Traditions are great .. and it has become my Burgundy tradition to visit Domaine Dublère in the outskirts of Beaune each year. It’s always great to meet Blair Pethel, as he is brutally honest about his own wines – what he likes and what he is not so happy about. I think he sometimes is being ...
- Visit Domaine Dublère – tasting of the 2014 reds On my March trip to Burgundy I had the pleasure to visit Domaine Dublère and taste the 2014 vintage – both reds and whites. The notes for whites are in a separate article .. so here I focus on the delightful red 2014s. A little background on Domaine Dublère A little background – Domaine Dublère was founded in ...