Nicolas Groffier has really improved the quality over the last years – the 2010 vintage was sort of a turning point to me, where he took the step up in the major league. The wines before were also very fine … but the detail, transparency and balance seem to have taken quite a notch up.
A slightly forgotten gem in the Groffier lineup is the Bonnes Mares – a wine that with recent adjustments in the vinification now is amongst the very best wines produced on this large and fragmented Grand Cru.
The estate own almost one hectar of Bonnes Mares – a large and lovely plot from where they produce a focused and refined Bonnes Mares.
Lets take a closer look at the Bonnes Mares plot of Domaine Robert Groffier.
Bonnes Mares – the other part of Chambolle Musigny
Bonnes Mares is a very exiting vineyard, as there is a lot of talented producers making wines from this large and complex grand cru. There are a lot of owners and plots on this vineyard, hence also relatively often a possibility to either rent a plot of buy grapes from this terroir. The ownership structure of Musigny is somewhat more static as is the case with the Vosne-Romanée Grand Crus – where the possibility to get a piece of land or grapes is very rare indeed.
Bonnes Mares is 15.05 ha – hence almost 40% larger than Musigny – and is located in both Chambolle Musigny and Morey-Saint-Denis. The main part is in Chambolle-Musigny – north of the village and Chambolle-Musigny Les Fuées – and only 1.52 ha of Bonnes Mares is located in the Morey appellation – just south of Clos de Tart – or actually inside Clos de Tart.
The true Bonnes Mares begins at the southern end of Clos de Tart – but actually there is a part of Bonnes Mares located within the enclosed walls of Clos des Tart – this part is now a part of Clos de Tart, although it’s named Bonnes Mares in the official cadastre (register of plots). The plot was included in Clos de Tart in 1966,
Bonnes Mares continues from Clos de s Tart to Chambolle Musigny Les Fuées and the village part of Chambolle Musigny Les Cras, with the top of the slope not being a part of Bonnes Mares but either village or the 1er cru part of Chambolle-Musigny Les Véroilles (a monopole of Domaine Ghislaine Barthod).
You need to login to read the rest of this article. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Robert Groffier Chambolle Les Amoureuses “Cuvée Blonde” 2016 November 21, 2019
- Domaine Robert Groffier Chambolle Les Hauts Doix 2010 September 4, 2019
- Domaine Robert Groffier, Chambertin Clos de Bèze 1996 November 27, 2017
- Domaine Robert Groffier, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2004 October 18, 2017
- Robert Groffier, Chambolle Musigny Les Sentiers 2007 June 27, 2016
- Domaine Robert Groffier, Bonnes Mares 2013 May 8, 2015
- Robert Groffier, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses 2007 October 12, 2012
- Robert Groffier, Chambolle Musigny Amoureuses 2010 May 4, 2012
- Robert Groffier, Chambolle Musigny Les Sentieres 2010 May 3, 2012
- Robert Groffier, Gevrey Chambertin Les Seuvrees 2010 April 28, 2012
- Visit to Domaine Robert Groffier – tasting the 2018s from cask Nicolas Groffier seems to have found beautiful balance in his wines, and even in the notoriouly unpredictable 2018 vintage he is in full control. The wines have a generous yet vivid tone, offering both freshness and intensity and showing some of the more emotional traits I am looking for in Burgundy. Groffier in recent years Nicolas Groffier has ...
- Vineyard Insight: Robert Groffier Chambolle Les Amoureuses I adore Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses, the wine from one of the most vivid and sensual vineyards in Burgundy. It is a vineyard with tremendous potential and a legendary reputation. There are great estates in the village of Chambolle which have been at the top of the producer tree for the last three decades or even longer. ...
- Brandis Tasting – the delightful 2017 vintage Domaine Brandis, with Tom Brandis at the wheel, is one of Denmark’s main Burgundy importers. In early November, Tom held his large Wine Festival with a very fine lineup of delightful producers – French, German, Italian; you name it, they were there. A very, very rare bird I had a short splash and dash at this tasting, as I ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses The Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the most prominent wines from this refined and sensual vineyard. I have therefore taken a closer look at the Vogüé Les Amoureuses … as most by now know that Les Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the delights of Burgundy … filigree, cool ...
- Visit Domaine Robert Groffier, tasting the 2017s from cask One of the gems of Burgundy is Domaine Robert Groffier in Morey-Saint-Denis. Nicolas Groffier took over the vinification around 10 years back – and has improved quality significantly over the years. These are cheerful wines .. both of hedonistic enjoyment and deeper indulgance. The Groffier wines seem to stand the test of time very well – recent ...