One of my favourite estates these days is the rising star Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – an estate going from strength to strength.
Amélie Berthaut has taken over the vineyards of Domaine Berthaut in Fixin from her fathers side, and 2/3rds of the vineyards from Domaine Gerbet in Vosne-Romanée from her mothers family, and in addition she has some rented vineyards in Gevrey-Chambertin from the Mercier family (Domaine des Chezeaux).
Nicolas Faure, the husband of Amélie, has taken over as vineyard manager at Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – so the team is in place for great wines.
The winemaking is seeing some adjustments – the share of whole cluster has increased somewhat in some cuvées and I would expect this to continue over the next years – in some cuvées at least. This is a very balanced change, where old clients can stay on, but no doubt the change is obvious and the improvement is very clear towards more forwardly expressive wines.
I really admire the people at this estate for the hard work and dedication ..
Tasting notes from the tasting February 12th 2019
The 2017 vintage here is showing beautifully – elegant forward and fruity with considerable charm and energy.
No doubt Berthaut-Gerbet has done very well indeed in this vintage – showing the continued progress of the estate – and while the vintage is perhaps not a top end vintage – I still think the drinkability of these wines are tremendous … in other words – really like the expression Amélie have found in the 2017s.
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots 2016 November 23, 2018
- Visit to Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – Tasting the 2020sScheduling has been difficult during the pandemic, and while one still has to pay attention to the state of the national health, I am slowly but surely getting back to normal. I missed out on the 2019s from Amélie Berthaut, although I did sample some with friends. And I’m also a bit late to the 2020s. ...
- Vins d’Emotion from Vosne-Romanée and Flagey-EchezeauxTo simplify your search for emotional wines, I have decided to compile a list of the top emotional producers in each appellation. Comments and thoughts The list contains producers that regularly score an emotional rating, and they are ranked in three levels. I hope this proves useful; here we go! Note that any wines marked with brackets ...
- Visit to Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – tasting the 2018sBurgundy is a magnificent place with tremendous wines, tasty food, beautiful countryside and villages to experience and enjoy. This is, however, a problem when on a wine-tasting trip. There are too many appointments and too little time to simply live and enjoy Burgundy, to indulge and float through hedonistic pleasure and peaceful relaxation. This is what Burgundy ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet, Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St. JacquesThe Berthaut-Gerbet estate is today a large and very exiting producer, covering the vineyards of the former parental estates Domaine Denis Berthaut and Domaine Gerbet. There is however an additional part adding a few vineyards en fermage/en métayage to the Berthaut-Gerbet estate. One is the very rare Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St. Jacques the other is the Gevrey-Chambertin ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet, Gevrey-Chambertin Les CazetiersThe Berthaut-Gerbet estate is today a large and very exiting producer, covering the vineyards of the former parental estates Domaine Denis Berthaut and Domaine Gerbet. There is however an additional part adding a few vineyards en fermage/en métayage to the Berthaut-Gerbet estate – and this is of cause the Mercier family, the owner of Domaine des ...