Domaine Dujac is an old favorite … one of the first estates I visited in Burgundy back in the 1990s. A lot of wine has passed the palate since then – but Dujac is sort of a safe haven quality and aromatics wise.
The tasting at Dujac was this year with a larger gathering of prominent sommeliers from New York – a very cheerful bunch who had a friendly banter with the very eloquent and witty Jeremy Seysess.
Dujac in recent vintages
As mentioned I always liked the Dujac wines – they bring me joy and satisfaction – a very important – but not all great burgundies offer this. The old story .. not all good Burgundies are great, and not all great Burgundies are good!
I always used to say that the 1999 vintage is my favorite from Dujac – and that i sensed a slight change in style over the next decade towards wines that needed more time to unfold – and wines with slightly less immediate appeal. Pehaps this was not the case .. but it was nevertheless my impression.
The 2010 vintage did however mark a return to “form” and perhaps a slightly lighter hand vinification wise – Although they are very intense the 2010s … and correcting myself … the this is in fact the best vintage so far from Dujac.
So where is the mighty 2015 vintage in this context … firstly Jeremy underlined that they have tried to make the 2015s with a light hand – not extracting too much. This is for me very important in the 2015 vintage – and they have indeed succeeded in that regard .. the wines are fine, fresh and transparent.
As all other estates the heat in 2015 has given big and generous wines, in some cool places very vibrant and juicy wines, in some hotter climates more ripe and dense wines. This is indeed the nature of the vintage and this is how one spots the gems of the vintage – find the cooler climates and plots and areas with sufficient water during the hot summer.
Tasting Notes – Domaine Dujac 2015s
To … the tasting notes!
Dujac Fils et Pere, Morey-Saint-Denis 2015
Starting with one negociant wine .. the Morey-Saint-Denis village – a lovely and elegant village. The nose offer fresh red and dark berry fruit – lovely depth for this level. On the palate juicy fruit – quite weighty with fine almost silky tannins. Love the balance and drinkability here … a lot of wine at this level.
Domaine Dujac, Morey-Saint-Denis 2015
Moving to the Domaine Dujac Morey village we see a step up in concentration, definition and focus. The nose is a bit closed (SO2 added and a slight reduction) but juicy fruit notes are lurking below the reductive cover. On the palate vibrant and and fresh fruit – fine acidity – lovely depth. It’s a big village wine, but it’s nevertheless both fresh and light-footed.
Domaine Dujac, Morey-Saint-Denis 1er cru 2015
The Morey 1er cru is showing its beauty claiming its right in the 2015 lineup. It’s a very harmonious effort offering the best sides of the 2015 vintage. The bouquet offer charming red and dark fruit – very juicy and with a nice deep earthy minerality – textbook Morey. On the palate fine mid-palate weight – love the ripe and delicate red core of fruit – generous and even on the sexy side … very enjoyable indeed.
Domaine Dujac, Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Combottes 2015
The Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Combottes is one of the highlights in the 2015 lineup. This wine is coming from a cool terroir below the Monts Luisants hill. This is a brilliant wine and clearly the best Aux Combottes I have tasted from Dujac so far .. and I have followed this wine for two decades of vintages now. The bouquet is brimming with vibrant red fruit – raspberries, strawberries, red currant and pomegranate. On the palate so juicy and energetic on the mid-palate offering a gorgeous core of sweet and very delicate red fruit … love the tension and energy in this wine .. a magnificent wine.
Domaine Dujac, Charmes-Chambertin 2015
The Charmes-Chambertin 2015 is a generous and velvet wine. The nose is bursting with layers of red and ripe fruit. On the palate it’s very generous with ripe and sweet predominantly red fruit .. a very charming and seductive wine .. balanced with a nice freshness but lacking a bit of the vibrant energy found in the wines from cooler terroirs. This is a classic Charmes-Chambertin 2015 … and a very fine one at that.
Domaine Dujac, Vosne-Romanée Les Beaux Monts 2015
The Vosne Beaux-Monts 2015 is a very fine effort not quite matching the extraordinary Aux Combottes. In the bouquet airy red and dark berry fruit finely spiced with violets and hints of allspice. On the palate fine weight with a lovely silky fruit brought forward by the filigree minerality. It’s refined and light-footed with a lovely energy.
Domaine Dujac, Vosne-Romanée Aux Malconsorts 2015
The Malconsorts is a big step up from the Beaux Monts … with its combination of power and refinement. The bouquet is quite restrained – as most Malconsorts tend to be at this stage – but one sense the additional weight and depth in the layered fruit. On the palate intense and weighty fruit – it’s velvet, rich and generous but also quite firmly structured … love the juicy mid-palate fruit – a big Malconsorts that will need plenty of time to unfold.
Domaine Dujac, Echezeaux 2015
The Echezeaux is more forward and expressive than the more backward and densely structured Malconsorts. The nose is bursting with red and dark fruit .. brought forward by a vibrant minerality offering some lovly spicy notes. On the palate quite cool and with a zappy mid-palate fruit .. energetic with a nice stony minerality. One of the best Echezeauxs I have tasted from Dujac .. a delightful glass of Pinot.
Domaine Dujac, Clos Saint Denis 2015
The Clos Saint Denis is a true beauty … The nose is brimming with juicy red fruit .. pomegranate, red currant and some darker notes – very detailed with a fine filigree minerality. On the palate very refined and complex offering a very energetic and juicy mid-palate fruit – lovely playful tension between the rich sweeter notes and more acidity driven pomegranate hints. A gorgeous wine by all standards .. so detailed and refined.
Domaine Dujac, Clos de la Roche 2015
The Clos de la Roche 2015 is a more weighty and powerful effort than the Clos Saint Denis. This is a more ripe and dense wine .. lacking a bit of the exuberant freshness and energy found in the Clos Saint Denis. In the bouquet more darker notes – dark cherries, plum and cassis – deep earthy minerality. On the palate rich, weighty and long with a impressive depth. A big wine – it’s balanced and intense – a wine for the cellar.
Domaine Dujac, Bonnes Mares 2015
The Bonnes Mares is a step up from the Clos de la Roche – offering additional depth and weight. It’s quite reduced offering only hints of whats underneath … but clear signs that it’s a a quite cool Bonnes Mares with some energetic red currant and pomegranate notes in the nose and on the palate. It’s a great wine – beautifully balance with a vibrant sense of freshness and tension … its delicate and detailed despite the reduction and the cheer weight of the mid-palate. This is a magnificent Bonnes Mares in the making.
Winehog RecommendationsYou need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Latriciere Chambertin 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Echezeaux 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Clos de Vougeot 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Procès 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Les Chaumes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos de Corvees Pagets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Poisets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Maizieres Hautes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Chambolle-Musigny 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Bourgogne Pinot Fin 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2014 February 13, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2006 January 10, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2008 December 18, 2014
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2008 February 19, 2013
- Visit Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, tasting of the 2016s I was very impressed when I tasted the 2015s from Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux in January 2017. I was therefor eager to get back to taste the 2016s to see if Charles Lachaux has progressed further. At my last visit Charles Lachaux eagerly began to explain about the changes they have made at the estate in recent ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- Taking Burgundy to the next level – Domaine Leroy Viticulture The wines of Domaine Leroy are extraordinary in every sense of the word, and Mme Bize-Leroy has for decades been one of the leading and most progressive producers in the region. A lot of producers find inspiration to take their wines to another level by looking at the things Mme Bize-Leroy have done to improve quality. ...
- Terroir Insight: Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanée Saint-Vivant One of the rapidly rising stars of Burgundy is Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux in Vosne-Romanee as the son Charles Lachaux has since 2013 taken quality to new levels – and with the 2015s he has entered in the group of top end producers in Vosne-Romanée with a outstanding lineup of wines – topped by the magnificent Romanée ...
- Vineyard Insight: Latricières-Chambertin The Gevrey-Chambertin appellation is large with quite a lot of rather large Grand Crus generously allocated when the current classification was established. Not all plots of the Gevrey Grand Crus are of high standard, and yet still they are famous in the Burgundy world where names like Charmes Chambertin and Mazis Chambertin have a great ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Latricieres-Chambertin In my view Latriciere-Chambertin is one of the overlooked and slightly misunderstood terroirs … and the 2015 vintage has really shown what this terroir can offer in both refinement and greatness. I have tasted excellent Latriciere-Chambertins from both Domaine Trapet and Domaine Faiveley and not to forget a delightful sample from Domaine Duroché. A great surprise however ...
- Visit Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, tasting of the 2015s During the last year or so I have heard from many that Charles Lachaux has made tremendous progress at Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux – the style has changed to a lighter and more floral style – with less oak and less extraction. I must say that I was slightly skeptical when I turned off the D974 and through ...
- Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots – a fragmented delight The Aux Reignots is in my view one of the most interesting 1er crus of Cote de Nuits – its perhaps not quite in the same popularity league as Vosne-Romanee Cros Parantoux, Aux Malconsorts or Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses, but the focus on this terroir has increased dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Louis-Michel ...
Lastest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Dujac, Clos Saint Denis 2009 August 18, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Bonnes Mares 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Clos de la Roche 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Clos Saint Denis 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Echezeaux 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Vosne-Romanée Aux Malconsorts 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Combottes 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Combottes 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Morey-Saint-Denis 1er cru 2015 July 8, 2017
- Dujac fils et Pere, Morey-Saint-Denis 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Clos Saint-Denis 1976 July 20, 2016
- Domaine Dujac, Chambolle Musigny 2013 July 9, 2016
- Domaine Dujac, Clos de la Roche 1999 April 28, 2016
- Domaine Dujac, Chambolle Musigny 2006 February 8, 2016
- Domaine Dujac, Bonnes Mares 1989 October 7, 2015
- Domaine Dujac, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux Monts 2012 September 19, 2015
- Domaine Dujac, Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Combottes 2012 April 26, 2015
- Domaine Dujac, Bonnes Mares 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dujac, Clos de la Roche 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Dujac, Clos Saint Denis 2013 April 4, 2015
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Dujac Clos Saint-Denis Clos Saint Denis was sort of a overlooked and hidden treasure for me, as Clos de la Roche stole my attention when I began my interest in Morey-Saint-Denis with the 1988 vintage of Domaine Ponsot Clos de la Roche. My passion for Domaine Dujac and Clos Saint-Denis really began when I tasted the 1999 vintage from ...
- Visit – tasting of the 2015s from Domaine Dujac Domaine Dujac is an old favorite … one of the first estates I visited in Burgundy back in the 1990s. A lot of wine has passed the palate since then – but Dujac is sort of a safe haven quality and aromatics wise. The tasting at Dujac was this year with a larger gathering of prominent ...
- Old Burgundies of excellent, lesser and unknown repute It’s always a treat to taste old Burgundies, and this week I had the opportunity to taste three aged Burgundies at a light lunch with some good friends. On the table was a Chassagne-Montrachet 1992 from Moillard-Grivot, a Dujac Clos Saint-Denis 1976, and lastly a Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge from 1957 from a unknown negociant – Caves des ...