I first tasted the La Tâche 1990 some 20 years back, and to date it’s the greatest red Burgundy I have tasted. To revisit this wine is not only a test of the wine but also a test of time and my palate. The La Tâche 1990 is still a both monumental and truly extraordinary wine – still in it’s late youth in my view – but already with a tremendous complexity unfolding underneath the massively build mid-palate. In the nose layers of intense red fruit bursting with spices and impressions – notes of violets, soy and hoisin – supported by a deep somewhat earthy minerality. On the palate … intense … layered fruit, very deep and long – surprisingly transparent given the vintage and the sheer weight and intensity. The classic La Tâche minerality is providing the energy and tension in this mighty wine, and while it’s a massive wine it’s still perfectly balanced and even refined here in it’s late youth. So is this perfection … time will show. I was worried that it would be more 1990-ish … but it’s not – it’s both complex and refined with little evidence of the rather hot notes found in quite many 1990s. In my view this needs 10 – 20 years more in the cellar to unfold completely, but it’s already magnificent in the defining sense of the word. This is what legends are made of!
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Romanée-Saint-Vivant 2009 – 7 years after October 23, 2019
- Hope for an old Romanée-Conti, and a delightful Dujac 1976 September 27, 2019
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2008 July 6, 2018
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2011 July 6, 2018
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée-Conti 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Grands Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Corton 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 January 1, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Montrachet 2009 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2004 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 February 15, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 1990 January 26, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2004 December 2, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2011 October 10, 2014
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Corton-CharlemagneTime is flying. There have already been 11 vintages since Domaine de la Romanée-Conti took on the making of a red Corton in 2009, and now the legendary estate is tackling another of Burgundy’s greats: Corton-Charlemagne. Its opportunity comes, of course, via the vineyards of the historic Bonneau du Martray (BdM) estate in Pernand-Vergeleses: Domaine de ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Bâtard-MontrachetA legendary, yet somehow unknown, wine; a wine not sold, but served on occasion; a wine above commercial interest; and a hedonistic blessing for a lucky few. the Domaine de la Romanée-Conti plot I am of course talking about the Bâtard-Montrachet from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, a wine served only – or should I say mainly – ...
- Terroir View: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti , “Vosne-Romanée Les Petits Monts”Vosne-Romanée Les Petits-Monts is a delightful vineyard, and one of the gems of Vosne-Romanée and is getting more and more fame and attraction. One plot is however both relatively unknown but also very well located indeed. I am of cause talking about the plot owned by Domaine de la Romanée-Conti .. Vosne-Romanée Les Petits-Monts Petits-Monts is a ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Lamarche, La Grande Rue “Cuvée 1959”While the vineyards of Burgundy are very old, changes and adjustments are done from time to time, and in some cases new wines and opportunities are created. One such wine is the Domaine Lamarche La Grande Rue “Cuvée 1959” a new luxury cuvée to top the existing La Grande Rue. This exciting new cuvée from Nicole Lamarche ...
- Value Increase – Romanée-Conti 1945The likely last sale of a Romanée-Conti 1945 was in 2011, when Christies sold a bottle in Geneva on 17 May at a price of 109350 CHF. Compared to this weekends sale the 111000 USD in 2011 does look rather pale. The 558000 USD is just a notch more the 5 times the price achieved in ...