The treat of tasting a great and delightful wine from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti is rare .. both due to the financial expenses of tasting one of the top end wines – and perhaps even more so due to the fact that one have to find a wine that is in what I would call a gentle drinking mood.
One such wine is the 2009 Romanée Saint-Vivant taken from a cool but average Danish storage. It is actually starting to get some slightly maturing notes – yet relatively far from fully mature of course.
I would say that the 2009 Vivant showed better and more openly forward than I expected .. like quite some other 2009s.
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2009
The Romanée Saint Vivant 2009 from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti is singing beautifully like a exotic Italian soprano … delicate with impeccable depth and a slightly hot and sensual sweet charm. Nose is brimming with forest berries .. now more defined and with more space to unfold the beauty of the fruit aromas. On the palate intense but also effortlessly light-footed showing the full beauty and refinement of the Vivant vineyard. This is a truly poetic and almost erotic wine.
(Drink From 2026) Extraordinary – 97p Tasted 25/09/2019
Just for fun .. comparing with the note from the tasting in 2012 …
The DRC Romanee St. Vivant 2009 is a brilliant wine. In the bouquet layers of delicate red fruits – forrest berries, raspberries – perfumed with allspice, violets and peony rose. The bouquet is very focused with multidimensional nuances of red fruits and minerality. On the palate immensely pure, refined and focused, with almost infinite layers of fresh velvet red pinot fruit. The elegantly fruity mid-palate is balanced with a very delicate yet strong mineralic backbone from the terroir. Not as muscular as the Richebourg, but much more refined and delicate – a masterpiece. I love this wine!
(Drink From 2027) Extraordinary – 97p Tasted 14/05/2012
It is always useful to compare and evaluate the wines from a vineyard to see who are performing . and where there are room for improvements.
The Romanée Saint-Vivant vineyard have at the moment five top producers – DRC, Leroy, Cathiard, Arnoux-Lachaux (2015 – ) and Dujac (a very rare bird). In the slipstream we have Hudelot-Noëllat .. who is trailing the front runners and perhaps somewhat better on the Richebourg.
Next level is Domaine de l`Arlot a fine wine but well below the top estates. This is from a plot previously owned by the Poisot family.
A further level down would be Poisot who are making good and dependable wines .. not sure how good the grape material from the Poisot plots really is? The location of the plot should ensure a fine pontential.
The J.-J. Confuron wines are not often tasted and have not been impressive recently – as could well be said about the Louis Latour RSV. There are definitely room for improvement!
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Romanée-Saint-Vivant 2009 – 7 years after October 23, 2019
- Hope for an old Romanée-Conti, and a delightful Dujac 1976 September 27, 2019
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2008 July 6, 2018
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2011 July 6, 2018
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée-Conti 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Grands Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Corton 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 January 1, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Montrachet 2009 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2004 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 February 15, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 1990 January 26, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2004 December 2, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2011 October 10, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2011 October 1, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Batard-Montrachet 2007 November 5, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2000 October 24, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Vosne-Romanee 1er cru 2008 October 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2002 May 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Batard Montrachet 2000 April 11, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2004 April 1, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee-Conti 2011 March 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 2011 March 22, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2011 March 22, 2013
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Corton-CharlemagneTime is flying. There have already been 11 vintages since Domaine de la Romanée-Conti took on the making of a red Corton in 2009, and now the legendary estate is tackling another of Burgundy’s greats: Corton-Charlemagne. Its opportunity comes, of course, via the vineyards of the historic Bonneau du Martray (BdM) estate in Pernand-Vergeleses: Domaine de ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Bâtard-MontrachetA legendary, yet somehow unknown, wine; a wine not sold, but served on occasion; a wine above commercial interest; and a hedonistic blessing for a lucky few. the Domaine de la Romanée-Conti plot I am of course talking about the Bâtard-Montrachet from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, a wine served only – or should I say mainly – ...
- Terroir View: Domaine de la Romanée-Conti , “Vosne-Romanée Les Petits Monts”Vosne-Romanée Les Petits-Monts is a delightful vineyard, and one of the gems of Vosne-Romanée and is getting more and more fame and attraction. One plot is however both relatively unknown but also very well located indeed. I am of cause talking about the plot owned by Domaine de la Romanée-Conti .. Vosne-Romanée Les Petits-Monts Petits-Monts is a ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Lamarche, La Grande Rue “Cuvée 1959”While the vineyards of Burgundy are very old, changes and adjustments are done from time to time, and in some cases new wines and opportunities are created. One such wine is the Domaine Lamarche La Grande Rue “Cuvée 1959” a new luxury cuvée to top the existing La Grande Rue. This exciting new cuvée from Nicole Lamarche ...
- Value Increase – Romanée-Conti 1945The likely last sale of a Romanée-Conti 1945 was in 2011, when Christies sold a bottle in Geneva on 17 May at a price of 109350 CHF. Compared to this weekends sale the 111000 USD in 2011 does look rather pale. The 558000 USD is just a notch more the 5 times the price achieved in ...