Charles Lachaux is taking some giant leaps for, if not mankind, then at least for the hedonistic pleasure of yours truly and other connoisseurs.
His 2018 wines are another clear step towards the very top echelon of Burgundy and Vosne-Romanee. They are airy, energetic, and vivid, with tremendous joie de vivre – true vins d’émotion.
And Charles is only beginning, and claims that his 2019s are even better. Somehow one is not surprised.
The 2018s at Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux
This was my fourth visit to Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, and what can I say: It was a stunning tasting that confirms the constant improvement at this estate.
At my last visit, Charles Lachaux gave a status report during the tasting and explained the changes that have been made over the past five years.
Furthermore, work with biodynamic viticulture is in progress, and could show the way to even further improvements in the vineyards. This is definitely an estate to follow, and one to cheer.
For all the wines, 100% whole-cluster vinification is now practiced – so this transformation is fully in place. This change was noticeable particularly in the lesser wines, as they were not previously fully whole cluster, as were some of the wines at the top end of the portfolio.
Airy and energetic 2018s
The 2018s may be from a bigger and more intense vintage, yet Charles Lachaux has succeeded where others have failed by producing intense yet light-footed wines.
His 2018s are energetic, with tremendous balance and mineral playfulness, and are clearly a further step upward and forward. They now have a fine organic feel … did someone say vins d’émotion?
Notes from the tasting on November 8th, 2019
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Bourgogne Pinot Fin 2018
Starting out with the Bourgogne Pinot Fin 2018 – a very enjoyable generic wine from excellent plots below the road (D974) in Chambolle-Musigny, Vosne-Romanee and Nuits-Saint-Georges. The bouquet is forward and floral (now 100% whole cluster) offering a airy expression of red fruits and a good impression of minerality for this level. On the palate vivid and quite generous with a lovely mouth feel – a delightful Bourgogne rouge
(Drink from 2020) – Very Good (87 – 88p) – Tasted 08/11/2019
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Nuits-Saint-Georges 2018
The Nuits-Saint-Georges 2018 is a blend of several different vineyards – mainly from the northern side of Nuits-Saint-Georges. The bouquet offer rich and charming fruit – floral (using 100% whole cluster) – with a discrete NSG mineral character. On the palate lively and vivid – very charming – offering a airy, intense yet light footed fruit driven mid-palate with a fine organic feel. This is showing very well.
(Drink from 2027) – Very Good+ (89 – 91p) – Tasted 08/11/2019
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Chambolle-Musigny 2018
This Chambolle comes from vines to the south of the village – i.e. a relatively cool area – and translates into a vivid village. The bouquet is perfumed with floral and airy red fruit, with notes of red currant and pomegranate. On the palate vibrant, offering vivid mid-palate fruit and fresh acidity for the vintage. I think I prefer the Nuits-Saint-Georges … but either would do nicely! 👍
(Drink from 2027) – Very Good+ (89 – 90p) – Tasted 08/11/2019
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne-Romanée 2018
Back to home turf, the Vosne-Romanée 2018 is a juicy and vibrant offering. This wine comes from Aux Communes, Aux Saules and Bussiere, and is a tremendous effort. The nose offers airy, perfumed red and dark berry fruit – raspberries and redcurrant – and is classically spiced with cinnamon and a hint of violets. On the palate, energetic with beautiful freshness – very light-footed for the vintage. Chapeau – vin d’émotion!
(Drink from 2027) – Fine+ (90 – 92p) – Tasted 08/11/2019
You need to login as a Premium Subscriber to see all the tasting notes and ratings. If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2008 May 23, 2018
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Latriciere Chambertin 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Echezeaux 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Clos de Vougeot 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Procès 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Les Chaumes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos de Corvees Pagets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Poisets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Maizieres Hautes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Chambolle-Musigny 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Bourgogne Pinot Fin 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2014 February 13, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2006 January 10, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2008 December 18, 2014
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2008 February 19, 2013
- Images from Arnoux-Lachaux’s viticulture field tripOn July 8 I had the pleasure of visiting the vineyards of Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux with Charles Lachaux to see his massive viticultural changes (see separate article). Here are some photo impressions from the tour:
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux’s dynamic viticultureCharles Lachaux is on a mission, and he is rapidly changing the viticulture at Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux. The changes are truly dynamic, and during the last four to six months Charles has made radical moves that normally take years to complete. It is truly impressive. Let’s take a closer look at Arnoux-Lachaux’s progress in its vineyards. A visit to ...
- Bourgogne Day 4 – Dynamic viticulture and more 2019sViticulture is becoming more and more important as global warming sets the scene for richer, weightier Burgundies. Charles Lachaux in the vineyard Wednesday included a very interesting tour in the vineyards of Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, guided by the super-dynamic Charles Lachaux – a man on a mission. Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Charles has taken things to the next level in the ...
- New visual indentity for Domaine Arnoux-LachauxDomaine Arnaux-Lachaux has introduced a new visual identity to match the invigorated style of the estate wines. Here is Charles Lachaux explaining the new labelling: “We are very proud to introduce you to our new visual identity. We had the desire to help people understand our philosophy and the way we work. This label is a reflection ...
- The Burgundy year 2019The Burgundy year 2019 is moving rapidly towards its end after many memorable moments. To be honest, I hate mission statements and other statements of objectives, but in the end they can be a useful rounding out of the year. The vins d’émotion – what’s in the glass Missions and statements are fine, but in the end, ...