Poetic … I was thinking poetic on my way up the hill from Vougeot to Chambolle to taste the 2015s from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé with winemaker Francois Millet.
I tasted the 2015s before the malolactic fermentation in June 2016 and now I had the opportunity to taste these magnificent wines again after the completion of the malo.
Expectations were high as I turned right at the church and saw the entrance to Vogüé … these wines are truly special in the 2015 vintage.
These are indeed fantastic wines as they are cool for the year and still offering the full hedonistic generosity of the vintage. This is a vintage build for the limestone soil south of the Chambolle vintage and it has produced some outstandingly great Vogüé wines from both Musigny and Les Amoureuses .. and even the wines from north of the village – Bonnes Mares and the Chambolle Musigny village are brimming with freshness.
The 2015s from Vogüé … impressions
The 2015 vintage is a generous vintage with abundant fruit and a charming character .. it’s a bit like a perfectly chilled and clear summer day .. a sense of decadent expressive richness .. but still fresh and very transparent.
The fruit of the 2015 vintage is very juicy indeed at Vogüé, so generous and balanced. In my view the perfect match for the big mineral driven terroirs of Chambolle. A vintage like this also suits the regal Vogüé style .. as it ads some lush and slightly sensual generosity to the wines.
I have upgraded the rating a bit for some of the Vogüé wines … they are that great.
Notes from tasting November 7th 2016
The wines have been tasted twice .. once in June before malo and once after the completion of the malo.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2015
The Chambolle village is a true beauty in the making. The nose offer generous red fruit – very vibrant fruit with a nice floral touch and brought forward by a intense minerality On the palate rich fruit for this level .. very generous mid-palate of ripe and energetic fruit – intense, transparent and beautifully balanced. True class – a big village in the making – perhaps the best village I have tasted so far from Francois Millet.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2015
The Chambolle 1er cru – made from the young wines on Grand Cru Musigny – is a magnificent wine, offering a range of the qualities found in it older brother the mighty Musigny. In the bouquet richer and sweeter notes of strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate and red currant with hints of blueberries. The limestone minerality is more forward in the wine, and again we find this wonderful delicate and cool sorbet fruit aromas – so fresh and vibrant. On the palate more weight with layers of red fruit, and a vibrant backbone from the mighty Musigny terroir. A giant 1er cru in the making
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2015
The Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses is a truly gorgeous and magnificent wine. The bouquet is bursting with ravishing sensual red sorbet like fruit – cool floral and intensely mineral driven. Delicate pomegranate, blackcurrant, blackberry and redcurrant fruit spiced with peony rose and a vibrant limestone minerality. On the palate long, intense and focused with a rich and sensual mid-palate fruit – very mineral driven and focused. Does not rival the Musigny for weight and power … but a truly outstanding effort.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2015
The Bonnes Mares is a beauty offering a lot of layered fruit and charm already at this stage. In the nose generous red and darker fruits – blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate and red currant – spiced with a forward expression of earthy minerality – quite expressive and floral for a red soil Bonnes Mares. On the palate layers of deep and rich fruit .. very pure, zappy and fresh .. with a quite outstanding focus and refinement. In my view one of the best Bonnes Mares I have tasted so far from Vogüé … so perhaps a masterpiece in the making.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2015
The Musigny 2015 is a mighty wine .. In the nose red and dark fruit .. blueberries, pomegranate and red currant – brought forward by a very intense floral minerality. On the palate very long, intense and balanced .. the mid-palate fruit is exuberantly lavish, zappy and energetic … but still tremendously focused by the very intense and powerful minerality of the Musigny terroir. The fruit is generous and rich, yet cool and very transparent. In my view the birth of a great Musigny – Extraordinary in the sense of the word … this is what legends are made of!
I also tasted the white Vogüé produced from plots in Grand Cru Musigny and has since 1994 been sold as Bourgogne Blanc. UPDATE March 2017 – It has now been decided that the 2015 will be sold as Musigny Blanc.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny/Bourgogne Blanc 2015
The white from Musigny shares the style and minerality from it’s red brother from this vineyard. The energy is the same, and while the fruit is generous and lavish with quite some exotic fruit in the bouquet it still has some of the same juicy freshness offered by the red wines. This wine is not structured like other whites … it’s structured like a Musigny with it’s inherent powerful energy. Yes it’s a rich white .. but beautifully focused and energized by the mighty limestone minerality of the terroir. The acidity is sufficient and the fine PH is doing a fine job balancing the freshness.
You need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – Tasting the 2021s from Cask July 12, 2022
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting the 2020s from cask November 6, 2021
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru 2005 April 17, 2020
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bourgogne Blanc 2010 February 7, 2020
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2004 February 8, 2019
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2001 January 7, 2019
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – 2017s from cask November 22, 2018
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses 2007 October 19, 2018
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 1970 October 9, 2018
- A happy return to the 2009s from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé October 7, 2018
- Comte Georges de Vogüé – 2017 before and under malo October 1, 2018
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses 2008 December 10, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2015 October 19, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2015 October 11, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2015 October 9, 2017
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Musigny Blanc 2015 October 8, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny Blanc 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2013 March 16, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2001 January 1, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2003 December 29, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1998 October 31, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2006 October 21, 2016
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2007 October 21, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 1986 September 19, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2008 August 14, 2016
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – Tasting the 2021s from CaskBurgundy and tradition are strongly linked, but as in all other aspects of life, change eventually takes the stage. At Domaine Comte Georges Vogüé, new winemaker Jean Lupatelli has made his first strides with the cool and exciting 2021 vintage. He took over from François Millet, who retired last year after more than three decades of ...
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting the 2020s from caskTraditions and Burgundy are strongly linked, but as in all other parts of life, change eventually takes the stage. At Domaine Comte Georges Vogüé, winemaker François Millet retired this past spring after more than three decades making the wines there. His first full vintage was 1986, but he also did the elevage of the 1985s. His ...
- New winemaker at Domaine Comte Georges de VogüéThe co-owners of Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Claire and Marie de Ladoucette, have announced the departure of winemaker François Millet and the arrival of his successor, Jean Lupatelli, who will replace Millet as winemaker beginning with the 2021 vintage. Jean Lupatelli comes to the iconic estate from Domaine Decelle-Villa in Nuits-St-Georges. The new winemaker will welcome ...
- De Vogüé: the surprise of 2018I have tasted the de Vogüé wines many times over the past 30 years. from bottle, from cask, before malo, and when finished. It has always been an intriguing treat, and so it was with the 2018s presented by the venerable Jean-Luc Pepin in Copenhagen on September 25 at the stunningly beautiful Admiralsgade 26 restaurant. Been there ...
- Comte Georges de Vogüé 2017s – bottled and delightfulVogüé time! As mentioned before, in Denmark we have a fine tradition of Jean-Luc Pepin visiting each year in September or October to present the newly released de Vogüé lineup in Copenhagen. Jean-Luc Pepin and two faithful Vogüé fans Add to this some nice dinners, and we have what we call de Vogüé week; a lovely time ...