The wines from Domaine François Bertheau have given me a lot of hedonistic pleasures over the years, and while they do not always show well from cask, they normally deliver the goods from bottle.
The 2018 vintage is different, however, as I have never seen the wines from François Bertheau shine as brightly as in this hot and variable vintage. The Bertheau 2018s are a hedonistic treat.
From cask or bottle …
Some wines are easy to taste from cask while others are more unpredictable, and the Bertheau wines have sometimes been quite difficult for me to taste from barrel over the years.
The 2010s from Bertheau are great – but were not showing that way from cask in 2011; likewise the 2014s in 2015. But the 2018s are showing beautifully without the usual – for me – slightly disturbing blueberry barrel note. The 2018s are simply shining, as was our host François Bertheau. He really nailed the 2018s.
I am delighted to give you the notes from Domaine François Bertheau, as the wines show delightful qualities.
Impressions of the 2018s from Domaine François Bertheau
We tasted the red 2018s from cask with François Bertheau on our early July trip to Burgundy – and below are the notes.
Domaine Domaine François Bertheau Chambolle-Musigny 2018
François Bertheau has found the vivid and fruity side of the 2018 vintage. The Chambolle village is perhaps slightly on the hot side, but the fruit is still vivid and transparent, with lovely energy. Classic Chambolle minerality with fine acidity and refined mid-palate fruit. A delightful village … unusual to find this density in a Bertheau village wine.
(Drink From 2026) – Very Good (88 – 89p) – Tasted on 03/07/2019
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Bertheau, Bonnes Mares 2008 October 28, 2018
- Domaine Bertheau, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses 2009 July 23, 2017
- Domaine Bertheau, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses 2007 February 27, 2015
- Domaine Bertheau, Bonnes Mares 2011 October 12, 2014
- Domaine Bertheau, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses 2010 December 25, 2013
- Domaine Bertheau, Chambolle Musigny 2008 September 23, 2013
- Domaine Bertheau, Bonnes Mares 2004 March 15, 2013
- Domaine Bertheau, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses 2002 October 11, 2012
- Bertheau, Chambolle Musigny Charmes 2008 December 18, 2011
- Domaine Bertheau, Bonnes Mares 2007 September 2, 2011
- Domaine Bertheau, Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses 2008 September 1, 2011
- Domaine Bertheau, Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses 2007 August 29, 2011
- Domaine Bertheau Les Amoureuses 2007 July 22, 2011
- Visit Domaine François Bertheau – tasting the 2018s The wines from Domaine François Bertheau have given me a lot of hedonistic pleasures over the years, and while they do not always show well from cask, they normally deliver the goods from bottle. The 2018 vintage is different, however, as I have never seen the wines from François Bertheau shine as brightly as in this ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses The Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the most prominent wines from this refined and sensual vineyard. I have therefore taken a closer look at the Vogüé Les Amoureuses … as most by now know that Les Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the delights of Burgundy … filigree, cool ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Bertheau, Bonnes Mares The Domaine Bertheau Bonnes Mares is somewhat overlooked and misunderstood. Firstly the focus on Domaine Bertheau have always been somewhat limited, secondly the Les Amoureuses seem to take most of the fame and glory. Although I do love the Les Amoureuses – the Bonnes Mares is however the bigger wine in the Bertheau portfolio, and is ...
- Vineyard Insight: Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is the delight of Burgundy … filigree, sensual, cool and refined. The female pendant to Musigny with the same type of regal minerality – yet more delicate and lightfooted – without the sheer power and depth of the mighty Musigny. By heart it’s a 1er cru – and while many argue that it ...
- Terroir Insight – Domaine Bertheau Chambolle Les Amoureuses I love Chambolle-Musigny perhaps the most vibrant and sensual appellation … While the Chambolle appellation is rather large the number of top end producers located in the village of Chambolle is rather limited, and somehow it’s not often a bright new star is rising from this village. There are great estates in this village – but they ...