The Winehog (aka Steen Öhman) seems to have forgotten to report the results from the tasting at Domaine Sirugue – in March!
Mistakes have been made – clearly – during these COVID-19 times. But still, this is not a proud moment. My apologies to Sirugue, and to the readers who were waiting for the notes.
What’s more, I am particularly embarrassed because the Sirugue 2018s showed very well in this rich, rather dense and opulent year.
Notes from my tasting on March 10
So with no further ado, let’s go to the notes.
Domaine Robert Sirugue Bourgogne Rouge 2018
The Bourgogne Rouge from is showing very well, with a sweet, charmingly perfumed note. For the vintage, this is quite light-footed, demonstrating what Sirugue does so well in hot years. This is drinking very well indeed.
(Drink from 2020) – Above Average (84-85p) – Tasted 10/03/2020
Domaine Robert Sirugue Ladoix Buisson 2018
The Ladoix is, as expected, a step up in intensity and concentration. The oak is a bit dominant in the wine; we will see how well it ultimately integrates. There’s good oomph though. A wine for food and enjoyment, this has good energy.
(Drink from 2022) – Above Average+ (84-86p) – Tasted 10/03/2020
Domaine Robert Sirugue Chambolle-Musigny Les Mombies 2018
The Chambolle Les Mombies is located near the RD 974 below the village. Classic Chambolle, yet also with a bit of Vosne character, and quite an oak impression at this stage. The 30%-40% whole-cluster inclusion makes it quite expressive on the nose. This has a marked calcaire/mineral impression, with lively fruit. That said, it does not quite match the Vosne villages.
(Drink from 2027) – Good+ (87-88p) – Tasted 10/03/2020
Domaine Robert Sirugue Vosne-Romanee 2018
The regular Vosne-Romanee is a blend of several different village terroirs. It’s airy and vivid for the vintage, with nice, fruity complexity. One of the best villages I have tasted from Sirugue, and a wine for pleasure.
(Drink from 2026) – Very Good (88p) – Tasted 10/03/2020
Domaine Sirugue Vosne-Romanee Vieilles Vignes 2018
The Vosne-Romanee Vieilles Vignes is, as always, a step up in quality and concentration. It’s made from a village parcel (Les Violettes) on the Flagey side of Vosne just south of the Clos de Vougeot. The 2018 version has a nice, airy Flagey note, all while being intense and quite dense. This will take some time to unfold. A hedonistic wine, it is more indulgence than complexity.
(Drink from 2027) – Very Good (89p) – Tasted 10/03/2020 –
Domaine Robert Sirugue Vosne-Romanee Les Petits-Monts 2018
The Petit-Monts is a charming 2018, vinified with 30%-35% whole clusters and around 40% new oak. Perfumed, with quite an oaky impression, it is still mineral and floral, with a refined expression. Not revealing itself fully yet, but the potential is clear: quite a refined note.
(Drink from 2029) – Fine++ (93p) – Tasted 10/03/2020
Domaine Robert Sirugue Grands Echezeaux 2018
The 2018 Grands Echezeaux is possibly the best wine I have tasted from this estate. Made with 100% new oak and 100% whole-cluster inclusion, it is complex and perfumed: a beautiful wine with an impressive framework. Classic GE with a magnificent hedonistic kick, and quite an emotional content!
(Drink from 2035) – Very Fine+ (94-95p) – Tasted 10/03/2020 –
Latest tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Grands Echezeaux 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne-Romanee Les Petits-Monts 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne-Romanee Vieilles Vignes 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne Romanee 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Bourgogne Rouge 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Grands Echezeaux 1988 December 10, 2014
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Grands Echezeaux 1978 December 9, 2014
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne-Romanee 2012 August 21, 2014
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne-Romanee Les Petits Monts 2012 August 20, 2014
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Grands Echezeaux 2012 August 14, 2014
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne Romanee VV 2011 April 14, 2014
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Grands Echezeaux 2011 September 11, 2013
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne Romanee 2011 September 9, 2013
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne Romanee 2010 September 8, 2013
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Chambolle Les Mombies 2011 September 7, 2013
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne Les Petits Monts 2011 September 6, 2013
- Domaine Robert Sirugue, Vosne Romanee VV 2011 September 5, 2013