What can I say: It is always a pleasure to visit Thibaud Clerget in Pommard, and the 2018 Clerget wines really impressed me on this most recent occasion.
I first visited Thibaud in 2016, tasting the 2015 vintage, and the 2018 wines really show the improvements he has implemented since (almost equally hot) 2015.
Hot years require experience and practice
While the grapes in hot years are often riper, the vinification is not necessarily easier, as maintaining coolness during the harvest and vinification requires experience.
I was therefore slightly surprised to see the fine results from Thibaud Clerget in his first vintage: 2015. Yes, some of the wines were perhaps a bit on the hot side, but in general the balance was there.
Tasting the 2016s revealed, however, some small room for improvement in the 2015s – and showed the potential of this fine estate, and the talent of Thibaud.
Now we have the 2018s in the glass, and despite the fact that 2018 was a hotter vintage than 2015, the 2018 wines here are even more vivid and fresh, showing finer details and energy. This shows what Thibaud can do today. These are seriously lovely wines.
The 2018s from Domaine Y. Clerget
The 2018 vintage is in my view the best vintage so far produced by Thibaud. It’s generous, vivid and energetic, with more focus and definition than the 2015s.
These wines offer tremendous pleasure and intensity, with fine balance and a gorgeous display of terroir. They have more energy than the 2015s, and more vivid and generous charm than the fine 2016s.
The wines are very impressive and underline the impression that Thibaud has taken a further step up the quality ladder, with tremendous wines of wonderful balance and intensity. But first and foremost the wines have a delightful energy – so essential to the intense 2018s.
Tasting notes from May 23th, 2019
To the notes…
Domaine Y. Clerget, Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2018
The Bourgogne Pinot Noir is quite an intense wine for this level – vivid and floral. The bouquet is offering juicy red and dark berry fruit, and a nice expression of earthy minerality. On the palate, fine balance with a nice floral hint. Drinking very well with its vivid freshness.
(Drink from 2020) – Very Good (86 – 87p) – Tasted 23/05/2019
Domaine Y. Clerget, Volnay 2018
The Volnay is brilliant: expressive and feminine with the generous 2018 fruit hiding in the back of the palate. This has delightful vigor and energy, and a lovely sensual mix of red and dark fruit does really give this wine an airy vivaciousness. It is showing very well indeed. No new oak in this cuvée adds to the fresh aspect of the fruit.
(Drink from 2026) – Very Good (88 – 89p) – Tasted 23/05/2019
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
- Visit Domaine Y. Clerget, tasting the 2018s from cask What can I say: It is always a pleasure to visit Thibaud Clerget in Pommard, and the 2018 Clerget wines really impressed me on this most recent occasion. I first visited Thibaud in 2016, tasting the 2015 vintage, and the 2018 wines really show the improvements he has implemented since (almost equally hot) 2015. Hot years require ...
- Visit Domaine Y. Clerget – tasting of the 2017s from cask My third visit at Domaine Y. Clerget … again – on a very hot summer day in Pommard. Great to be back at Y. Clerget to taste another vintage from Thibaud Clerget who has expanded a bit with a few wines. First and foremost is however one year more of experience under the belt – and while ...
- Notes and comments to visits in May 2018 The 2017s are showing beautifully in most cases – considering it’s rather early in the elevage. Malo in most cases were finished very or fairly early, and reds are given the nature of the vintage made with a rather light hand – also making the wines easier to taste at this stage. In my view it’s ...
- Visit Domaine Y. Clerget – tasting of the 2016s from cask My second visit at Domaine Y. Clerget … on a very hot June day in Pommard. Thibaud was just coming from the vineyard, where the vines were growing like there was no tomorrow … I was very exited to taste the 2016s after tasting the 2015s earlier this year. The 2015 vintage was the first for ...
- Vistit Domaine Y. Clerget – tasting of the 2015s from cask I was parking the car in the center of Pommard almost in front of the shop Appellation Chocolat .. on my way to taste the 2015s at Domaine Y. Clerget further down the street – and then I recalled the name Clerget from a great bottle moment … Clerget and Pommard has a special meaning to ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points My aim with the Winehog is unchanged, but I have for some time wanted a stronger focus on the hedonistic pleasure and simple enjoyment of drinking Burgundies. I have therefore adjusted my mission statement: “My mission is to help readers find more joy and hedonistic pleasure in Burgundy wines; to help them understand the terroirs and ...