In May 2012 I had the opportunity to taste a part of the 2009 collection from DRC. The tasting included the first vintage of the new Corton, but sadly the Montrachet and Romanee-Conti were missing.
The tasting showed a fantastic collection of great 2009s, all the wines were focused and elegant with a lot of finesse. Make no mistake however – these are BIG wines, and while they are not showing the dense side of the 2009 vintage, they have a lot of power.
The 2009 DRC’s are all great wines, and it’s a top vintage for DRC. It’s perhaps not at the same level as 2005, 1990 and 1999, but the 2009s are quite close to these vintages quality wise.
Richebourg, Romanee St. Vivant and La Tache are all among the best wines produced in this vintage, and Grands Echezeaux is most likely the best wine produced on this vineyard in 2009. The Echezeaux is almost on par with the best Echezeaux made in 2009 – i.e. Liger-Belair, Grivot – and slightly better than Mugneret-Gibourg and Rouget.
The new member of the DRC family – Corton
The 2009 vintage is ther first year for DRC’s Corton. The Corton is placed in the bottom of the DRC lineup pricewise, and is in my view not really a member of the family. Firstly it’s a Corton and not a Vosne/Flagey wine, this making it completely different terroir-wise. Secondly the vinification is not the same, as destemming is used in the Corton, further more less new oak is currently used for the Corton.
The result is a much darker and slightly austere expression in the 2009 vintage – compared to the other DRC wines. It’s a typical Corton, and a fine wine … but aromatically it really doesn’t fit in the lineup in my view. Anyhow this could changes in the following years?
Tasting Notes – Domaine de la Romanee-Conti 2009
Here are the tasting notes from our tasting of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, on May 14th, 2012.
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Corton 2009
First vintage of Corton from Domaine de la Romanee Conti. The Corton is the odd one out in the DRC lineup, and it doesn’t really benefit from being served alongside it’s brothers and sisters from Vosne Romanee. In the bouquet darker fruit aromas – raspberries, plum, black cherries, cassis and liquorice. On the palate tightly knit fruit aromas, quite muscular and sturdy build. It’s a classic Corton, and a bigger more dense wine than the 1. cru Vosne and the Echezeaux. The Corton is however lacking some of the complexity and finesse found in all the other DRC wines. Nevertheless a fine to very fine classic Corton, sadly I don’t really find red Corton very appealing.
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Vosne-Romanee 1er cru Duvault-Blochet 2009
The Vosne Romanee 1’er cru – Cuvee Duvault-Blochet – is a blend the grand cru vineyards in Vosne Romanee. The grapes are from the second pass trough in the vineyards, collecting grapes not fully ripe on the first pass trough. The 2009 edition of the cuvee Duvault-Blochet is a very open and charming wine. In the nose loads of Vosne spices, fine ripe red fruits with a good underlying minerality – notes of cherries, rasp- and strawberries, violets and peony rose. On the palate more openly knit than the other DRC wines, with layers of delicate fresh red and dark fruit. Not as precise and focused as the single vineyard wines, but very charming and complex in it’s own right. Very delicious and spicy – the Echezeaux is slightly better. But the 1. cru is – at least currently – more appealing.
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2009
The Echezeaux 2009 from Domaine de la Romanee Conti is a beautiful and enjoyable wine. In the bouquet fine sweet red fruit aromas – raspberries, cherries – spiced with peony rose and vanilla from the quite present oak. On the palate delicate ripe pinot fruit, quite rich and velvet, with a quite focused and intense finish. It has quite a touch of oak presently, and need time to integrate this. It’s perhaps a not the most mineralic and complex Echezeaux, nor the most concentrated for that matter. The DRC Echezeaux however has a lovely purity and balance in the pinot expression, and the quite dense 2009 vintage is transformed into a refined quite velvet display of delicate pinot flavors – this is a pleasure wine!
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Grands Echezeaux 2009
The DRC Grands Echezeaux 2009 is a beautiful and very balanced effort. In the bouquet darker and richer than the Echezeaux, with notes of black cherries, raspberries, gooseberries, strawberries, perfumed with a slight mocca and liquorice. On the palate bigger, more lush than the Echezeaux, the fruit is rich and fine rather than intense and focused. The midpalate concentration is very good, leading to a long and lingering finish. For me this a classical Grands Echezeaux, it’s lovely, charming with a wonderfull zen like balance and harmony. Very impressive – A lovely wine.
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee St. Vivant 2009
The DRC Romanee St. Vivant 2009 is a brilliant wine. In the bouquet layers of delicate red fruits – forrest berries, raspberries – perfumed with allspice, violets and peony rose. The bouquet is very focused with multidimensional nuances of red fruits and minerality. On the palate immensely pure, refined and focused, with almost infinite layers of fresh velvet red pinot fruit. The elegantly fruity midpalate is balanced with a very delicate yet strong mineralic backbone from the terroir. Not as muscular as the Richebourg, but much more refined and delicate – a masterpiece. I love this wine!
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2009
The DRC Richebourg 2009 is a big muscular wine. In the bouquet quite floral with loads of ripe fruit – plum, black cherries, red and black forrest berries, notes of mocca, slightly toasted oak and Vosne spices. On the palate very rich and lush, with a big quite openly knit structure. It’s a very muscular and powerfull Burgundy, but still quite charming and accessible. It’s not as refined and focused as the Romanee St. Vivant, but a more dramatic wine, with a slightly rustic and heavy expression. I prefer the style of the Romanee St. Vivant, but the Richebourg is almost on the same level quality wise. Very impressive and charming.
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 2009
The DRC la Tache 2009 is a quite monumental wine. In the bouquet layers of red and dark fruit – forrest berries, black cherries – perfumed with allspice, violets, peony rose and cinnamon. On the palate a gear up from the concentration in Richebourg and Romanee St. Vivant. Mulitible layers of lush ripe pinot fruit, firmly structured by a intense mineralic expression of the terroir. Style wise it resembles the Richebourg, just more rich and dense, and much more focused. In addition the La Tache 09 has a zen like harmony and balance – very impressive at this very young stage. It’s perheps not able to rival the great 1990, but is definately a great bottle of La Tache.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée-Conti 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Grands Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Corton 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 January 1, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Montrachet 2009 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2004 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 February 15, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 1990 January 26, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2004 December 2, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2011 October 10, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2011 October 1, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Batard-Montrachet 2007 November 5, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2000 October 24, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Vosne-Romanee 1er cru 2008 October 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2002 May 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Batard Montrachet 2000 April 11, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2004 April 1, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee-Conti 2011 March 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 2011 March 22, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2011 March 22, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2011 March 22, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2007 March 4, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2001 January 8, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2002 July 10, 2012
- Impressions from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti and Cathiard Thursday was a busy day, starting out with a memorable tasting at Domaine de la Romanée-Conti. First out a tasting of the 2016 vintage from cask with Alexandre Bernier, the righthand man of Bernard Noblet. Related articles
- The white DRC from Saint-Vivant de Vergy Domaine de la Romanée-Conti is a legendary estate, and while the wines are getting tremendous acclaim throughout the world there are one or actually several relatively unknown vineyards and a rather overlooked wine in the portfolio. It is well known that Domaine de la Romanée-Conti produces an outstanding Montrachet, and even that they produce an equally ...
- Visit Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – tasting of the 2015s from cask Sitting in my car writing these tasting notes, while I’m overlooking La Tâche .. -7.5 Celsius .. but with a inner warmth of the aftertaste of Romanée-Conti 2015 .. a truly memorable moment of Burgundian beauty. Just out from a lovely tasting of the 2015s from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti with Bernard Noblet the legendary cellarmaster. ...
- Le Montrachet Six – A Historic Wine Last week it became clear that the April frost damage made it almost impossible to produce Montrachet for several owners on the Chassagne side of Montrachet – Le Montrachet. The April frost had reduced the yields by more than 90%, and therefore reduced size of the individual cuvées considerably. In some cases the size of harvest ...
- One Montrachet from six Domaines Due to the low yields caused by frost damage in April there will be no 2016 Montrachet from six owners of Montrachet. They will instead make one cuvée together – two casks equivalent to 600 bottles. It’s the estates Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Comte Lafon, Domaine Leflaive, Guy Amiot, Lamy Pillot an Domaine Fleurot – who ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Montrachet The most iconic white wine from Burgundy is the Montrachet from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. The combination of the most prestigious estate and the finest white wine terroir in the world is a quite unique combination. DRC only produced red wine until they acquired the first plot on Montrachet in 1963. Lets take a closer look at ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Richebourg The mighty Richebourg from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti is one of the top wines of Burgundy allthough it’s only number four or five in the impressive DRC lineup. While both Romanee Saint-Vivant and La Tâche have entered the DRC holdings within the last century, the DRC holdings in Richebourg dates even longer back in the Burgundian ...
- Terroir insight – DRC Grands-Echezeaux The Grands-Echezeaux is somehow the slightly overlooked wine in the Domaine de la Romanee-Conti lineup. It is however a magnificent wine in its own right, but is of course somewhat overshadowed by the four top reds – Richebourg, Romanee Saint-Vivant, La Tâche and Romanee-Conti. In this article I will take a closer look at the DRC ...