My first wine from Williams Selyem. The Russian River Pinot is one of many different pinots from this estate. Must say I’m not impressed with this effort. In the bouquet some almost overripe notes as prune but also some green notes indicating low phenolic maturity in some of the grapes. Can only find a hint of pinot in the bouquet. On the palate it’s quite powerfull with some acidity (added?) and spicyness rather than minerality. Clearly not a classic pinot, but a quite unfocused wine with a high alcohol level.
(Drink from 2012) Average – 79p
Tasted 02/08/2011 at Enomania
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Robert Groffier Chambolle Les Hauts Doix 2010 September 4, 2019
- Domaine Dublère, Charmes-Chambertin 2006 September 1, 2019
- Domaine Lafouge, Auxey-Duresse Climat du Val 2016 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Vosne-Romanee “Les Barreaux” 2017 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Bourgogne Passetoutgrain rosé 2018 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Bourgogne Passetoutgrain rosé 2017 July 30, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2009 July 26, 2019
- La Ferme de Saint Roux, Friponne rosé 2018 July 24, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Corton “Cuvée Baie par Baie” 2017 July 23, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Zenith Vineyard 2016 July 14, 2019
- Château-Grillet 2008 June 29, 2019
- Domaine d’Eugenie, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Perclos 2015 June 29, 2019
- Domaine Aurelien Verdet, Vosne-Romanée Les Beauxmonts 2017 June 25, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge Armstrong Vineyard 2016 June 17, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills, Bjornson Vineyard 2016 June 11, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Chardonnay Willamette Valley “Tardive” 2017 June 11, 2019
- Domaine Aurelien Verdet, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2017 June 10, 2019
- Domaine Jean-Pierre Maldant, Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru “Aux Fourneaux” 2017 June 1, 2019
- Domaine Jean-Pierre Maldant, Corton Les Grandes Lolières 2017 June 1, 2019
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de Vougeot 2002 May 10, 2019
- Domaine Ponsot, Chapelle Chambertin 1999 May 9, 2019
- Laurent Ponsot, Meursault Charmes 2016 May 9, 2019
- Laurent Ponsot, Griotte Chambertin “Cuvée du Saule” 2016 May 9, 2019
- William Fevre, Chablis Bougros Côte Bouguerots 2010 May 4, 2019
- Domaine J.-F. Mugnier, Nuits Clos de la Marechale 2013 May 4, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune Greves l’Enfant Jesus 2017 May 3, 2019
- Bruno Clavelier, Vosne-Romanee La Combe Brulee 2012 May 1, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Corton-Charlemagne 2017 May 1, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Vosne-Romanee “Les Barreaux” 2016 May 1, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Beaune Les Tuvilains 2017 April 26, 2019
- The annoying points game: Winehog breaks the scale! I have been giving ratings on the 100-point scale for more than 20 years (perhaps even 30), since I began reading the then-not-so-well-known reviewer (in Burgundy, at least) behind The Wine Advocate: Robert Parker. This scale – with its usable interval of 50-100 points – is apparently the way to rate wines these days. And with the ...
- A rare and special Bernkasteler Doctor TBA 1959 Weingüter Wegeler is one of the proud owners of the unique Bernkasteler Doctor vineyard in Mosel. Wegeler each year produce a lineup of spectacular wines from this fine and very mineralic vineyard located just above the village of Bernkastel. The Doctor vineyard is in my view unique in both style and quality in the middle Mosel – ...
- Visit Domaine Duroché – tasting the 2018s from cask A summer visit to Domaine Duroché to taste the 2018 vintage was a treat, as this is one of the rising stars of Gevrey-Chambertin. Pierre Duroché made some tremendous 2015s and 2016s, lovely 2017s, and thus my expectations for the 2018s were high, as a vintage like 2018 should go very well with the Duroché style. The ...
- Montre-Cul at the northern end of Burgundy One of the few lieu-dit vineyards in the central Dijon area is Montre-Cul, or Montrecul, located just at the city limit of Dijon. On the cadastre maps the vineyard is called En Montre-Cul, and it is both an adorable and somewhat “notorious” label. The red dot on the map above shows En Montre-Cul – located north of Marsannay ...
- One wine in many versions: new barrels and amphorae In the words of an old geek and wine reviewer (me), the world of wine is getting more and more complex. While we are used to tasting wines from standard (228-litre) barrels, their differences being only age and maker, there are now one or perhaps several new dimensions to this game: large barrels of 300 or ...
- Visit Domaine Michelot – tasting the 2017s from bottle Domaine Michelot is a well-known estate in Meursault, producing high-quality wines from a range of fine vineyards. It is a relatively large estate – 19 ha – yet strangely I never visited Michelot before. The estate is managed by the Mestre family, Jean-François Mestre taking over from his father-in-law, Bernard Michelot (1926 – 2016). Now Jean-Francois’s ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Lamarche Vosne Aux Malconsorts Aux Malconsorts is one of the most acclaimed 1er crus in Vosne-Romanée, and while there are quite a few newer owners, we also have older proprietors of this fine vineyard. One of those is Domaine Lamarche in Vosne-Romanée, which has two separate plots located in the southern end of the vineyard on the border with Nuits-Saint-Georges. Domaine ...
- Visit Domaine François Bertheau – tasting the 2018s The wines from Domaine François Bertheau have given me a lot of hedonistic pleasures over the years, and while they do not always show well from cask, they normally deliver the goods from bottle. The 2018 vintage is different, however, as I have never seen the wines from François Bertheau shine as brightly as in this ...