Sometimes you know that a new man or woman in a great vineyard will almost certainly produce something special…
Chantereves: This estate has a special place for me; I like and enjoy the wines here. As an old Mosel fanatic, I value the German link that Tomoko Kuriyama brings to the wines. That said, Guillaume Bott is at least equally important, as he has conquered the Corton hill before.
The husband and wife are tremendously nice people, and they deserve success on their journey to create a new estate with its own vineyards.
Tomoko and Guillaume have recently expanded their domaine by 4.7 hectares, adding to the small aligote parcel they acquired a few years back. With 5 ha of their own vineyards, they can now proudly use the Domaine Chantereves label alongside the well-known Maison Chantereves.
The expansion comes with 3 ha of Hautes Cotes de Beaune – 50% chardonnay and 50% aligote – located in the Fussey area on the border of the Hautes Côtes de Beaune and Nuits. Additionally, the estate includes 0.2 ha of Chorey-les-Beaune in the lieu-dit Champs Longs, located at the Chorey’s northern end. Further, Chantereves has acquired 0.85 ha in the Savigny-les-Beaune vineyard Dessus de Montchenevoy, situated north of the village.
Finally – and this is where the plot thickens – Chantereves has found some exciting grapes from a small vineyard in the Corton Climat – En Charlemagne – and they have the opportunity to buy the grapes in a négoce like arrangement.
So let’s dive into Pernand-Vergelesses!
The Chantereves plot of Corton-Charlemagne
Domaine Chantereves got the first grapes from this new venture in 2020 – a very exciting opportunity, as the vineyard is horse ploughed and biodynamically farmed.
Its Corton-Charlemagne is located in Pernand Vergeleses, in the climat En Charlemagne: a small plot on the northwestern end of the hill.
The plot- cadastre no. 168 – is 0.0433 ha and is located in the same area as the Simon Bize plots I recently wrote about. It is in fact a very exciting plot, as the cooler climate on the Pernand side does give an advantage with global warming presumably continuing to increase.
The exposure is quite different on the Pernand side, and ripeness comes later – at least a week later compared to the Ladoix-Serrigny vineyards.
And as an aside, Guillaume Bott is also the winemaker behind the excellent Simon Bize Corton Charlemagne. I feel a treat is awaiting the Winehog!
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Nathalie & Gilles Fevre Chablis 2022 July 6, 2023
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2019 July 4, 2023
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée Saint-Vivant 2008 June 3, 2023
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Montrachet 2007 June 3, 2023
- Domaine de Montille Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Saint-Juliens 2019 May 16, 2023
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – Tasting the 2022s from Cask May 4, 2023
- Domaine Jean Fournier Marsannay Les Longeroies 2015 Version Originale April 25, 2023
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 2014 April 15, 2023
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Cras 2014 April 15, 2023
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2014 April 14, 2023
- Domaine Michel Voarick Corton-Charlemagne 2008 April 14, 2023
- Domaine Prieure-Roch Vosne-Romanee Hautes-Maizières 2012 April 13, 2023
- Domaine Prieure-Roch Clos de Vougeot 2009 April 13, 2023
- Marthe Henry Boillot Aligote 2019 March 26, 2023
- Domaine Antoine Lienhardt Côte de Nuits villages Les Plantes Aux Bois 2021 March 25, 2023
- Case Basse Soldera Toscana IGT 2018 March 23, 2023
- Domaine Camp-Atthalin Savigny-les-Beaune Les Prévaux 2019 March 23, 2023
- Domaine Antoine Lienhardt Emphase 2021 March 21, 2023
- Domaine J.-F. Mugnier, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos de la Marechale 2019 March 21, 2023
- Theo Dancer Bourgogne Blanc 2020 March 21, 2023
- Vins d’Emotion 2 – Domaine Henri JayerI have asked readers to pitch in with the vins d’émotion you have enjoyed over the years. I will publish some of these here to show more examples and explanations of what a vin d’émotion is – to you and to me. The vin d’émotion Henri Jayer’s Vosne-Romanee Cros Parantoux 1990 I have had the pleasure of ...
- Visit to Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – Tasting the 2022sDomaine de la Romanée-Conti is an estate dedicated to quality and coherence, meaning lovers of the wines have a safe haven style-wise when they acquire these famous, fabulous bottles. This is not a place for ground-breaking or earth-bending changes. It is, however, an estate that makes its changes with discretion, with the goal of respecting its ...
- Vins d’Emotion 1 – Domaine BizotI have, as you know, asked readers to pitch in with the vins d’émotion you have enjoyed over the years. I will publish some of these here to show more examples and explanations of what a vin d’émotion is – to you and to me. The 1st vin d’émotion 2015 Domaine Bizot Vosne-Romanée (tasted blind in Dec ...
- 2022s: Past the Halfway MarkI have now completed the first half of my 2022 tastings, with numerous domaines visited and the wines still relatively early in their development. So here is my mid-point assessment of the vintage, and after having looked at my initial view of the ’22s, I think the evaluation then was pretty accurate. Overall, the wines are ...
- Your Vins d’Emotion?We can all remember the bottles that have given us the greatest experiences, and sometimes we can (hopefully) recall the ones that gave us the greatest pleasure: the true vins d’émotion. I want to know your vins d’émotion Send me a message (below) and tell me about the wine, when you drank it (month/year), and a few ...