Jean-Marc Roulot have made some truly delightful 2014s, they are pure, delicate and vibrant with a rarely seen refinement and filigree detail.
It’s always a treat to taste the Meursaults from Domaine Roulot, and this year I also had the pleasure of tasting two wines from the new negociant extension of Domaine Roulot – a Corton Charlemagne and a Chevalier-Montrachet
Domaine Roulot … the 2014 vintage
The 2014s showed very well at the tasting on March 24th 2016 – pure and delicate with all the fine qualities the outstanding 2014 vintage offers.
Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2014
The Bourgogne Blanc 2014 from Roulot is a tremendous effort for this level … with a true expression of the house style. In the nose vibrant white and yellow fruits with a fresh citrus infused minerality – quite flowery and delicate. On the palate, airy and pure fruit … very harmonious and balanced. A lovely glass of white Burgundy …
Domaine Roulot, Auxey-Duresses 2014
The Auxey-Duresses Blanc is showing beautifully – the first time I taste this cuvee made from 60 years old vines. The bouquet is quite forward offering a quite flowery and refined aromatic profile of white orchard fruits and white flowers spiced with a quite intense citrus infused slightly edgy minerality. On the palate pure and delicate fruit – quite weighty with a firm but detailed minerality. A truly fine glass of white Auxey-Duresses …
Domaine Roulot, Meursault 2014
The “generic” Meursault 2014 from Roulot is showing all the delicate qualities of the vintage. The bouquet is very forward offering a crystalline expression of white orchard fruits brought forward by a filigree citrus infused minerality. On the palate pure and lovely airy fruit – quite intense with a nice vivid acidity. Love the purity and delicacy.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Meix Chaveaux 2014
The Meix Chaveaux 2014 is a step up in weight and complexity from the lovely generic Meursault. In the bouquet more expressive yellow orchard fruits – additional depth in the fruit aromas. On the palate very good weight for this level …. pure and juicy with a lovely mid-palate depth. A lovely and charming … somewhat voluptuous Meursault … perfectly balanced by the delicate acidity.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2014
Moving up the slope … Meursault Les Luchets 2013 – located above Meix Chaveaux .. is showing more mineral character and refinement. In the bouquet airy white orchard fruits with delicate hints of acacia flower and a filigree but powerful citrus infused minerality. On the palate lovely airy fruit – nice exotic mid-palate fruit (very old vines) – brought forward by the vivid acidity and intense minerality. Lovely complexity here … what a lovely village Meursault.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Vireuils 2014
Moving further up … the Meursault Vireuls 2014 from Roulot is showing all the delicate qualities of the vintage. The bouquet is forward offering a quite perfumed and refined aromatic profile of white orchard fruits, white flowers spiced with and focused by a quite intense minerality. On the palate pure and lovely fruit – quite intense with a delightfully vivid acidity – love the focus and refinement here.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2014
The Meursault Les Tillets – made even higher up on the slope (and south) – is a mineralic powerhouse and aside from Tesson my favorite among the Roulot village wines. In the bouquet airy white fruit with slight hints of white peach and grapefruit – powered by a stony/flinty minerality. On the palate very crisp .. with a delicate cool white fruit focused by a powerful minerality and the energetic acidity. This is a wine for fans of mineral driven Meursaults. As often with the Roulot village wines … they are quite evenly matched and the personal preference will pick the favorite .. I do have some personal favorites .. but I really enjoy them all.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tesson 2014
The Meursault Tesson 2014 is a step up in concentration and intensity – in reality this is well into the 1er cru territory quality wise. In the bouquet deeper and more intense fruit .. balanced more towards the intense yellow fruit … with a deep more powerful minerality underneath the ample fruit. On the palate layers of deep and juicy fruit – generous and intense, with a very long and balanced finish. A magnificent Meursault village … up there with the very best … tremendous effort.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Porusot 2014
The Porusot is a step up in mineralic intensity in its own slightly rustic or edgy way … although the 2014 seems remarkably refined. The nose is bursting with minerality and a offers a nice balance between white and yellow fruit. On the palate pure and airy fruit supported by the powerful minerality – very fine length and balance. The question is however … is it superior to Les Tesson? … in my view not … yes it’s perhaps a larger framed wine, but the complexity and detail is somehow better in Tesson.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Charmes 2014
The Meursault Charmes has been demoted to third rank in the Meursault lineup at chez Roulot – after the Clos des Boucheres. The Roulot Charmes is made from very old vines … and this is quite apparent when one taste the wine. The bouquet offer rich layered white and yellow fruit, delicate but with a slight opulence. It offers a hint of mint and a quite discrete view to the filigree mineral backbone. On the palate also rich and layered fruit – silky and aromatic – with a quite intense core of yellow fruits. Perhaps not the most focused and detailed wine in the lineup – but a mighty and lovely Meursault Charmes it is …
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Clos des Boucheres 2014
The Meursault Clos des Boucheres is a quite new wine in the Roulot lineup – the first vintage was 2011 – and has now earned the right to be second in the Meursault hierarchy – after the mighty Les Perrieres. This gorgeous vineyard located just above the northern part of Porusot and just south of Goutte d’Or – produces some of the most delicate and refined Meursaults you can get. This in combination with the delicate nature of the vintage gives a truly magnificent wine. In the nose fine airy white fruit with a refined filigree citrus infused minerality. On the palate refined almost silky fruit driven by the racy acidity and the filigree and very detailed mineralic backbone. A remarkably refined and elegant Meursault 1er in the making – a beautiful expression of the lovely 2014 vintage.
Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2014
The greatness of the Meursault Perrieres is however not a matter of preference and style – this is clearly grand cru level … a fact that was underlined when we tasted the negociant Corton Charlemagne after the Perrieres. Roulot’s Perrieres is made from a perfectly located plot in the northern part of Perrieres Dessous – and it’s only rivaled in quality and intensity by the equally magnificent Perrieres from Coche-Dury. The nose offers gorgeously pure white orchard fruits – notes of pear, white peach and hints of more exotic fruits – it’s powered and focused by the both powerful and refined minerality. On the palate crystal clear, intense and powerful – with a beautifully focused and crystalline fruit. While this is a very refined and delicate wine in the 2014 edition it offers tremendous power and length … outstanding.
Negociant bottlings from Roulot
Jean-Marc Roulot is also making some negociant bottlings now. They are made from bought grapes, so Roulot is not doing the viticulture on these vineyards – important to notice this.
We tasted two negocaint wines – a Corton Charlemagne and a Chevalier Montrachet.
The Corton Charlemange was not showing on the day… and was served directly after Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Perrieres – and that proved to be a big task for the Charlie … it’s a fine Charlie 2014, but perhaps lacking both intensity and definition to match the very best. Lastly … my handwriting was in this case unreadable even for me ..so have not been able to decode the note for the Corton Charlie .. but I rated it Fine+ (92- 93p) – note to self start using the iPad for notes!
The Chevalier-Montrachet showed much better (as did the handwriting) after the Charlie.
Roulot, Chevalier Montrachet 2014
The Chevalier-Montrachet is a large scaled wine, it’s rich, vivid and generous – but also embraces the Roulot house style. The nose offer layers of pure orchard fruits driven by a filigree and delicate minerality. On the palate weighty yet airy … lovely mid-palate generosity with plenty of stuffing. It’s long and mineral driven … classic Chevalier … but added the Roulot focus and definition. A beautiful Chevalier in the making … bettter than the Perrieres .. perhaps – it’s most certainly bigger – but the level of refinement and purity is perhaps better in the Perrieres.
The 2014s from Roulot are magnificent in my view and better than the otherwise lovely 2013s I tasted last year.
The 2013s are more robust and somewhat rustic – whereas the 2014s offer a purity and delicacy rarely seen. The 2014s are beautiful wines, with an airy and very refined fruit, and a perfect display of terroir.
They do perhaps lack the large scaled potent acidity of the 2010 vintage, but the fruit is more pure in the 2014s … as the 2010s show some evidence of botrytis.
Are the 2014s better than the 2010 from Roulot … perhaps not. But will be exiting to follow both vintages over the next decade or so …
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux 1992 June 30, 2020
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Charmes 2007 June 27, 2020
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Meix Chaveaux 2008 December 23, 2016
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2011 September 4, 2016
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2010 August 29, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2013 August 24, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2013 August 19, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tesson 2013 August 16, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Poruzot 2013 August 10, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Charmes 2013 August 9, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Clos des Boucheres 2013 August 9, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2013 August 8, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Meix Chaveaux 2010 December 12, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2012 December 11, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2012 May 27, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Porusot 2012 May 25, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tesson 2012 May 15, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Meix Chaveaux 2012 May 8, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault 2012 May 6, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2012 May 4, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Clos des Boucheres 2012 April 25, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2012 April 20, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tesson 2011 April 7, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tessons 2007 April 2, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2005 March 31, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, “R” Meursault 2010 February 11, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2008 September 17, 2013
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Vireuils 2010 September 16, 2013
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2010 September 6, 2012
- Domaine Guy Roulot, Le Meix Chavaux 2010 July 19, 2012
- Domaine Roulot, Les Tessons – Clos de Mon Plaisir 2008 May 8, 2012
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tillets 2009 February 15, 2012
- Bourgogne Day 3 – Promise and potentialAmphorae are the new black in Burgundy, and it is very interesting to taste wines vinified and matured in these large “formats.” Jean-Marc Roulot Roulot: Tasting Clos de la Boucheres from amphora Blind tasting: regular barrel, Stockinger large barrel, stainless-steel barrel, glass amphora and regular amphora. The result was very surprising – in different ways. Stay tuned… Glass, wood, stainless ...
- Visit to Domaine Roulot – tasting the 2018sTraditions are to be cherished, and these emotional anchors are important in the current world of chaos and covid. We are indeed living in a changing world, and as we try to adapt, the delightful sensation of a sip of Clos des Boucheres is is a joyful, hedonistic blessing one should savour. Jean-Marc Roulot – March 2020 It ...
- Visit Domaine Roulot – tasting of the 2017s from bottleOne of my yearly wine highlights is the tasting at Domaine Roulot, where I have the pleasure of sampling the latest vintage, normally from cask. This year was however different, as a trip to the hospital in March interfered with both my Trilogie and Roulot tastings. Luckily I had the opportunity to go to Roulot in ...
- Visit Domaine Roulot – tasting of the 2016s from caskIt’s this time of the year – when I usually taste the lineup of Domaine Roulot – and why change a splendid tradition. The tasting of the 2016s were however somewhat different to the earlier years, as the frost had caused some adjustments to the lineup. First things first – no Meursault Meix-Chaveaux was made in 2016 ...
- Visit Domaine Roulot – tasting of the 2015s from caskOne of the highlights of the year is the tasting of the latest vintage from Domaine Roulot in Meursault. The wines of Domaine Roulot is a benchmark for the whites in my view, as they always are among the best wines in each vintage – and furthermore they always reflect the style and nature of ...