It’s this time of the year – when I usually taste the lineup of Domaine Roulot – and why change a splendid tradition.
The tasting of the 2016s were however somewhat different to the earlier years, as the frost had caused some adjustments to the lineup.
First things first – no Meursault Meix-Chaveaux was made in 2016 due to the grapes lost to the April frost. Secondly Meursault Tillet was not made either, as the vines was uprooted – and further more many of the wines were produced in smaller quantities due to both mildew and frost problems in the troublesome 2016 season.
The 2016 Bourgogne Blanc
The Bourgogne Blanc was also very badly hit by the frost, but Roulot made a bold and creative move by including grapes bought grapes from both Macon and Chablis – to get at least some quantities to sell.
I was a bit sceptical as I’m not normally a huge fan of having the flavour profile changed changed dramatically by the addition of a large percentage of Macon grapes. The addition of Chablis grapes does however provide a nice balancing effect to the richer and more dense Macon grapes.
So the Bourgogne Blanc 2016 from Roulot has a delicate balance between Chablis, local Meursault based grapes and Macon grapes.
In my view it works well – and finds a new balance in this the entry wine – and it’s drinking both well and delightfully. This is intelligent wine making.
Looking at the bigger wines and the lesser wines – the village lieu-dits are rather affected by the low yields caused by the frost. Whereas the 1er crus are less affected by the frost palate wise – with the Meursault Charmes most affected of the 1er crus and the Les Perriéres untouched by the frost.
The 2016s from Domaine Roulot
My initial thought was that the 2016s were a return to a more classical Meursault – after the rich and voluptuous 2015s.
This is however not the case at all domaines, as the heavy loss of grapes at some estates have given a large share of low yield cuvées with high intensity.
Roulot lost more than many others – 65% in total – hence his portfolio tend to have more low yield wines.
These wines a fine in their own right – but to call them classic in the same sense of the word as the 2014s – would be a mistake in my view. They have another level of intensity and density – and the aromatic profile does take a notch to the darker and more serious yellow fruits.
This being said – they do taste quite magnificently in their own intense way – and to be honest this type of white 2016s are found from many producers.
The top wines are however less touched by the frost – and provide effortless and rather classic styled Meursaults – of very high quality – without perhaps reaching the heights of the utterly magnificent 2014 vintage.
Domaine Roulot … the 2016 vintage – tasted March 14th 2018
To the notes …
You need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux 1992 June 30, 2020
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Charmes 2007 June 27, 2020
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Meix Chaveaux 2008 December 23, 2016
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2011 September 4, 2016
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2010 August 29, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2013 August 24, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2013 August 19, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tesson 2013 August 16, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Poruzot 2013 August 10, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Charmes 2013 August 9, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Clos des Boucheres 2013 August 9, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2013 August 8, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Meix Chaveaux 2010 December 12, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2012 December 11, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2012 May 27, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Porusot 2012 May 25, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tesson 2012 May 15, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Meix Chaveaux 2012 May 8, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault 2012 May 6, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2012 May 4, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Clos des Boucheres 2012 April 25, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2012 April 20, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tesson 2011 April 7, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tessons 2007 April 2, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2005 March 31, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, “R” Meursault 2010 February 11, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2008 September 17, 2013
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Vireuils 2010 September 16, 2013
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2010 September 6, 2012
- Domaine Guy Roulot, Le Meix Chavaux 2010 July 19, 2012
- Domaine Roulot, Les Tessons – Clos de Mon Plaisir 2008 May 8, 2012
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tillets 2009 February 15, 2012
- Bourgogne Day 3 – Promise and potentialAmphorae are the new black in Burgundy, and it is very interesting to taste wines vinified and matured in these large “formats.” Jean-Marc Roulot Roulot: Tasting Clos de la Boucheres from amphora Blind tasting: regular barrel, Stockinger large barrel, stainless-steel barrel, glass amphora and regular amphora. The result was very surprising – in different ways. Stay tuned… Glass, wood, stainless ...
- Visit to Domaine Roulot – tasting the 2018sTraditions are to be cherished, and these emotional anchors are important in the current world of chaos and covid. We are indeed living in a changing world, and as we try to adapt, the delightful sensation of a sip of Clos des Boucheres is is a joyful, hedonistic blessing one should savour. Jean-Marc Roulot – March 2020 It ...
- Visit Domaine Roulot – tasting of the 2017s from bottleOne of my yearly wine highlights is the tasting at Domaine Roulot, where I have the pleasure of sampling the latest vintage, normally from cask. This year was however different, as a trip to the hospital in March interfered with both my Trilogie and Roulot tastings. Luckily I had the opportunity to go to Roulot in ...
- Visit Domaine Roulot – tasting of the 2016s from caskIt’s this time of the year – when I usually taste the lineup of Domaine Roulot – and why change a splendid tradition. The tasting of the 2016s were however somewhat different to the earlier years, as the frost had caused some adjustments to the lineup. First things first – no Meursault Meix-Chaveaux was made in 2016 ...
- Visit Domaine Roulot – tasting of the 2015s from caskOne of the highlights of the year is the tasting of the latest vintage from Domaine Roulot in Meursault. The wines of Domaine Roulot is a benchmark for the whites in my view, as they always are among the best wines in each vintage – and furthermore they always reflect the style and nature of ...