Traditions are to be cherished.
This was how I began the article about the Roulot 2018s last year, when the COVID situation was disturbing me, my work and my tastings.
Now here I am again chez Roulot, tasting the 2019s – another relatively hot and generous year, but strangely, not very similar.
This is the beauty of Burgundy, and the beauty of the Roulot wines.
The Roulot 2019s
The 2019s come from a rich but relatively vivid vintage – more vivid and livelier than the 2018s, and with a decadent, sensual fruit that overshadows the ’18s.
The 2019s are charming, and offer a different kind of appeal than other hot vintages. But – and there is maybe a but – I would not expect to keep these wines for 30 years or more. That said – who will keep the wines for years and decades? Sadly too few!
Regardless -enjoyable they are.
Are they better than the 2018s? In most cases, definitely, but in my view, not monumentally. It was a hot year, although 2019’s inherent energy does a good job of hiding the vintage’s more exuberant side.
So, to the notes!
Domaine Roulot 2019 tasting on June 1
Jean-Marc Roulot Bourgogne Blanc 2019
The ’19 Bourgogne Blanc is a rich, slightly exotic version of this wine, with a hint of cloudberries to entice the taster. It’s generous, but a firm backbone and fresh acidity produce charming energy. Enjoyable and inviting, and certainly sexier than the 2018.
(Drink From 2022) – Good+ – (87-88p) – Tasted 01/06/2021 –
Jean-Marc Roulot Meursault 2019
The Meursault village is from different plots in the appellation – amongst others, young vines in Narvaux and Clos de la Baronne. Velvety and exuberant, it has fine, delicate fruit and an almost silky delicacy and vivacity. It’s attractive, with its slightly exotic side, yet without losing any vivid freshness. Cool? Not really. But vivid? Oh yes!
(Drink From 2026) – Very Good – (88p) – Tasted 01/06/2021 –
Domaine Roulot Meursault Vireuils 2019
The Vireuils is not showing particularly well currently; at the moment it’s rather backward, with a fennel/anise note. The fruit is not really revealing itself either, but my guess is that it will show better after some time in bottle.
(Drink From 2028) – Very Good? – (89p?) – Tasted 01/06/2021
Domaine Roulot Meursault Meix-Chavaux 2019
The Meursault Meix-Chavaux is yet again a Winehog favourite. It has generous, zen-like balance, and a lovely hedonistic feel. It’s rich and giving, but with the 2019 vivacity intact, helped by the fact that the grapes come from a 50- to 60-year-old plot. I adore the Meix-Chavaux.
(Drink From 2030) – Fine – (92p) – Tasted 01/06/2021 –
You need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux 1992 June 30, 2020
- Domaine Roulot Meursault Charmes 2007 June 27, 2020
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Meix Chaveaux 2008 December 23, 2016
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2011 September 4, 2016
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2010 August 29, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2013 August 24, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2013 August 19, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tesson 2013 August 16, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Poruzot 2013 August 10, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Charmes 2013 August 9, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Clos des Boucheres 2013 August 9, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2013 August 8, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Meix Chaveaux 2010 December 12, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2012 December 11, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2012 May 27, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Porusot 2012 May 25, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tesson 2012 May 15, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Meix Chaveaux 2012 May 8, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault 2012 May 6, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2012 May 4, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Clos des Boucheres 2012 April 25, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2012 April 20, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tesson 2011 April 7, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tessons 2007 April 2, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Perrieres 2005 March 31, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, “R” Meursault 2010 February 11, 2014
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Luchets 2008 September 17, 2013
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Vireuils 2010 September 16, 2013
- Domaine Roulot, Bourgogne Blanc 2010 September 6, 2012
- Domaine Guy Roulot, Le Meix Chavaux 2010 July 19, 2012
- Domaine Roulot, Les Tessons – Clos de Mon Plaisir 2008 May 8, 2012
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Tillets 2009 February 15, 2012
- Domaine Roulot – Tasting the 2021s; Forward to the Past!The 2021 vintage in many ways comes from an annus horribilis, especially if you are located in Côte de Beaune and make white wine. The spring frost in April struck hard and also somewhat randomly, leaving some vineyards denuded of fruit (Domaine Roulot lost 50% to the frost alone). Then came humid weather, with ...
- Visit to Domaine Roulot – Tasting the 2020sThe Domaine Roulot 2019s were sensual and on the slightly exotic side, and it was, therefore, difficult to believe that the 2020s could be even better and more refined. But they are. The Roulot ’20s have an airy effortlessness that makes them beautifully refined, while still maintaining the impressive intensity found in the vintage. Paul Delorme of ...
- Visit to Domaine Roulot – tasting the 2019sTraditions are to be cherished. This was how I began the article about the Roulot 2018s last year, when the COVID situation was disturbing me, my work and my tastings. Now here I am again chez Roulot, tasting the 2019s – another relatively hot and generous year, but strangely, not very similar. This is the beauty ...
- Bourgogne Day 3 – Promise and potentialAmphorae are the new black in Burgundy, and it is very interesting to taste wines vinified and matured in these large “formats.” Jean-Marc Roulot Roulot: Tasting Clos de la Boucheres from amphora Blind tasting: regular barrel, Stockinger large barrel, stainless-steel barrel, glass amphora and regular amphora. The result was very surprising – in different ways. Stay tuned… Glass, wood, stainless ...
- Visit to Domaine Roulot – tasting the 2018sTraditions are to be cherished, and these emotional anchors are important in the current world of chaos and covid. We are indeed living in a changing world, and as we try to adapt, the delightful sensation of a sip of Clos des Boucheres is is a joyful, hedonistic blessing one should savour. Jean-Marc Roulot – March 2020 It ...