Domaine Grivot seem to go from strength to strength making lovely and enjoyable wines. The 2015s showed very well indeed, with their generous and charming style. The 2016 vintage is quite another ballgame, as the April frost played a big role in how the individual wines have turned out.
This is especially the case for the larger estates like Domaine Grivot – who owns plots in many terroirs and quite a few appellations. The 2016 vintage can make for a rather bumpy ride style and sometimes even quality wise – and while the 2016s from Grivot are showing very well – there are quite some variation in the style due to the frost.
2016 is indeed an intriguing vintage
Impressions from the tasting of the 2016s from Domaine Grivot
This year Mathilde Grivot had samples prepared that was ready for the tasting in the cellar – so samples rather than tasting directly from the barrel – very efficiant.
The 2016s from Domaine Grivot are quite classic and cool compared to the rich, generous and hedonistic 2015s.
Stylewise some of the wines stand out with extra a intensity and concentraion due to the frost and following low yield.
Mathilde mentioned that they lost 50% in Echezeaux, Les Suchots and Aux Brûlees and 30% in Clos de Vougeot. Furthermore there is no Chambolle-Musigny Combe d’Orveaux – and 30% or more were lost in the Nuits-Saint-Georges vineyards south of the village.
Some of these frost affected wines do stand out somewhat, as the character of the wines are influenced by the very low yields. In some cases it’s just enhancing the wine – in others the very low yields does influence the balance of the wine significantly.
So stylewise some variation – quality wise a bit of variation but overall a fine quality here. The big question – can the 2016s match the 2015s?
In my view the answer is not unambiguous as a few of the 2016s stand out due to the different character of the vintage. Firstly I think the 2016 vintage is a better match for the Nuits-Saint-Georges wines from south of the village of Nuits-Saint-Georges – as the 2015s here were slightly on the warm side. Secondly the Clos de Vougeot does benefit from low yields and a fresher acidity in the 2016s vintage – see the individual tasting notes.
Lastly one could argue that the 2016 vintage is a more classic Burgundy vintage – and some might prefer this to the rich and lavish 2015s. I can understand and appreciate this preference -if you like – but I must say that the 2015s in many cases have more energy and freshness than I originally hoped for. So without denying the greatness of the 2015 vintage – I would like to have both the 2016 and the 2015 – I’m sure these vintages will be lovely to follow over the next decades.
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Les Rouges 2009 November 29, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux-Monts 2014 June 5, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Echezeaux 2014 May 23, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Clos de Vougeot 2014 May 23, 2016
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2008 March 19, 2016
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2007 November 30, 2014
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2004 June 30, 2014
- Jean Grivot, Clos de Vougeot 2011 April 22, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2011 April 18, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux Monts 2011 April 17, 2013
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2009 March 30, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2007 March 8, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2009 April 2, 2012
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 1988 November 7, 2011
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2008 October 13, 2011
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Jean Grivot, Echezeaux Echezeaux Les Cruots or if you like Echezeaux Les Vigne Blanches is one of the most interesting terroirs in the Flagey-Echezeaux part of Burgundy. Henry Jayer found this to be one of the best terroirs in the large Echezeaux grand cru – and Jayer apparently made a special Echezeaux cuvée from this vineyard. One of the most ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Grivot, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots Domaine Grivot has a lovely collection of 1er crus – 9 in total – and the quality of these wines are increasing year by year. The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots is in my view one of the top 1er crus, although both the Aux Reignots and the Brûlées are perhaps more know by collectors. It’s however ...
- Visit Domaine Grivot: Tasting of the 2017s from tank A new year and a new vintage – and back at Rue de la Croix Rameau .. looking forward to taste the Grivot 2017s. The 2016s showed very well in my view, with a lovely balance and intensity – the 2017 are somewhat lighter and more forward offering a more sunny and fresh style than the ...
- Burgundy .. 2017 and a look at 2018 The 2017s are now getting bottled in many estates, and its time to give a status, before the 2018s are ready to taste and evaluate. I have tasted quite a few 2017s over the past year – and some more in the last week – 11th to 15th of February. This has really confirmed the quality ...
- Dégustation Prestige – Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru This year Grand Jours de Bourgogne included a Dégustation Prestige of Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru … as it did two years ago. It’s a tasting of around 20 wines from the Clos de Vougeot vineyard – this year with the oldest being a 1989 from Domaine Joseph Drouhin and the youngest being a 2008 from ...
- Visit Domaine Grivot: Tasting of the 2016s from cask Domaine Grivot seem to go from strength to strength making lovely and enjoyable wines. The 2015s showed very well indeed, with their generous and charming style. The 2016 vintage is quite another ballgame, as the April frost played a big role in how the individual wines have turned out. This is especially the case for ...
- Second round of visits October 2017 The October trip is a shorter stop before the main round of tastings in start November 2017. Here are more new estates + also some well known adresses I have visited with great pleasure during the last few years. Domaine Arnaud Tessier First out here is Domaine Arnaud Tessier in Meursault – one of my favorite producers in ...
- Visit Domaine Grivot: Tasting of the 2015s from cask To be honest I was very impressed indeed by the 2015s when I tasted them in June 2016 – it was before malo, so I was quite cautious not to be too exited, but already at that point I felt that something special was fermenting in the barrels in the cellars at Domaine Grivot. I was ...