The Grand Jours de Bourgogne is a very big event. There were 57 produceres at the Vosne Romanee tasting with around 200 wines – mostly from the 2010 vintage. At the same time tastings were held for Morey+Chambolle in Gilly, Nuit-Saint-Georges at NSG, and Gevrey Chambertin in Marsannay. In total more than 500 wines in one day …. !!
My focus were on the Vosne Romanee tasting, at little on the Nuit-Saint-Georges and Chambolle+Morey tastings. My tastings covered 100 – 150 wines, starting out with the presumed top producers, moving on to other interesting produceres.
After revealing the best wines of Vosne Romanee – see article, it’s now time to present other good wines and positve stuff from the tastings.
On the positive side the tasting revealed quite big improvements for some of the wellknown estates.
Gros Frere et Soeur had a very nice lineup – the style seemed lighter and less dark and extracted than in earlier years. Gros Frere has a special place in my heart, as the first Grand cru I bought was the Richebourg 1990 from this domaine – nice to taste this good lineup from Bernard Gros.
Bouchard Pere et Fils also made quite a big step forward, with a good lineup, crowned by a very fine Echezeaux. The wines seemed less oaked and more terroir driven.
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux also seem to move away from the quite oaky and extracted style. The 2010 lineup was very good, topped by a very fine Romanee-Saint-Vivant.
The organic wave
More and more produceres are now running the vineyards based on organic principles, and this is showing in the wines. In general the wines are more focused and better balanced.
The use of SO2 are aparantly being reduced at some domaines, while others still seem eager to kill the fruit using excessive SO2. I’m not against the use of SO2, but some use way too much in my view, thus clouding both the fruit and the terroir.
Another tendency seem to be reduced use of new oak and extraction. This is also a very positive development, as the wines becomes more fruit and terroir driven.
The three factors in combination can lead to big quality improvements for a domaine. While I’m not going to mention the domaines by name, some of the wellknown estates in Burgundy really need to improve – yes the wines might be recently bottled, but that alone does not account for the appalling quality some domaines showed af the Grand Jours de Bourgogne.
Tasting Notes for this vintage
- Domaine Coquard Loison Fleurot, Clos de la Roche 2010 December 15, 2017
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Boudots 2010 December 15, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2010 December 5, 2017
- Lucien Le Moine, Chambolle-Musigny Hauts Doix 2010 November 29, 2017
- Domaine Bachelet, Chassagne Blanchot Dessus 2010 October 14, 2017
- Lucien Le Moine, Pommard Les Epenots 2010 July 5, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 June 28, 2017
- Domaine Paul Pillot, Chassagne-Montrachet Cailleret 2010 May 22, 2017
- Domaine Tessier, Meursault Charmes-Dessus 2010 December 23, 2016
- Domaine Bachelet, Chassagne Blanchot Dessus 2010 September 30, 2016
- Domaine Dublere, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumees 2010 August 14, 2016
- Domaine Mikulski, Meursault Charmes “cuvee 1913” 2010 June 25, 2016
- Domaine Darviot-Perrin, Meursault Genevrieres 2010 June 3, 2016
- Domaine Tessier, Meursault Charmes-Dessus 2010 June 2, 2016
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2010 April 28, 2016
- Philippe Pacalet, Chambolle Musigny 2010 January 17, 2016
- Maison Jessiaume, Corton Renardes 2012 August 29, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Les Tillets 2010 August 29, 2015
- Philippe Pacalet, Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru 2010 August 21, 2015
- Louis Max, Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er cru 2010 July 29, 2015
- Domaine Darviot-Perrin, Meursault Genevrieres 2010 July 21, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 July 11, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2010 June 26, 2015
- Domaine Leflaive, Chevalier-Montrachet 2010 April 13, 2015
- Domaine Ramonet, Bienvenues-Batard Montrachet 2010 March 24, 2015
- Domaine Tessier, Meursault Charmes-Dessus 2010 March 7, 2015
- Philippe Pacalet, Corton Charlemagne 2010 February 5, 2015
- Domaine Roulot, Meursault Meix Chaveaux 2010 December 12, 2014
- Domaine Prieure-Roch, Clos de Vougeot 2010 October 18, 2014
- Domaine Antoine Jobard, Meursault Charmes 2010 September 10, 2014
- Domaine Dublére, Volnay Les Pitures 2010 September 7, 2014
- Domaine Dujac, Chambolle-Musigny 2010 August 6, 2014
- Domaine Lafouge, Auxey-Duresses Les Boutonniers 2010 July 25, 2014
- Domaine Francois Lamarche, Vosne Les Chaumes 2010 July 14, 2014
- Domaine Chantal Remy, Morey Clos des Rosiers 2010 June 16, 2014
- Domaine Leflaive, Puligny-Montrachet Les Pucelles 2010 May 30, 2014
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru 2010 May 9, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Romanee 2010 April 8, 2014
- Domaine Prieure-Roch, Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er cru 2010 March 25, 2014
- Domaine Prieure-Roch, Clos de Vougeot 2010 March 22, 2014
Vintage Chart Red Burgundy
- The 2015 vintage – variations of greatness June 22, 2016
- Frost damage – one devestating night May 4, 2016
- Vintage Report – Burgundy 2013 vintage – update March 2015 March 22, 2015
- Vintage Report Burgundy 2013 – Update November 2014 November 8, 2014
- Initial impressions of the Burgundy 2013 vintage May 11, 2014
- Vintage Charts – update April 2013 April 27, 2013
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne 2012 March 20, 2012
- Tasting – Burgundy 2009 February 8, 2012