The 2009 vintage at Domaine Comte Liger-Belair has really blossomed after years of waiting, and is now showing the true beauty of the vintage. The wines are refined and have excellent balance for such a generous, warm year.
In fact, some of the 2009s today almost – but not quite – match the fantastic 2010s from this estate. Therefore I have a special interest in these rather hot vintages: Where will the 2015s and 2018s end up palate-wise?
I really enjoyed the 2015s here and they have so far performed very well indeed. But regardless, they are rich wines and could perhaps also shut down, as did the 2009s.
But what about the 2018s? Let’s find out!
Tasting the 2018s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair
The 2018 vintage is a hot year, and while Louis-Michel seems to have nailed the vintage, it was not without a bit of struggle.
As in other hot years, some of the wines here have mild reduction – and I would therefore imagine that this vintage will require time to unfold fully, just like the now-magnificent 2009 vintage has done over the past ten years.
The 2018s here are elegant, forward and intense, with excellent weight yet without being overtly dense. They sort of remind me of the 2015s, as they have airy and generous fruit with lovely ripeness, and very agreeable tannins.
The transparency and cool, gentle generosity really impressed me when tasting the 2018s.
They are quite a lot hotter than the perfectly cool 2010s, but the ’18s still have vivacious, juicy fruit, and they are beautifully balanced. I still have 2010 as the best vintage so far from Louis-Michel, but I think the 2018s could rival 2009 and perhaps even 2015 from this estate.
As with other estates, there are some wines that stand out in 2018 as very special. But even the other wines are excellent and a joy to taste.
Tasting notes for the Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2018s
The tasting included the usual lineup, but also included the recent addition to the range – Clos de Vougeot, for which 2015 was the first vintage. Just for the record, Louis-Michel Liger-Belair uses 100% new oak for all wines except the white, where the share is around 30%.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes Blanc 2018
This is the seventh vintage of the white NSG for Louis-Michel; it comes from the vineyard Clos des Grandes Vignes in the southern end of Nuits-Saint-Georges (Premeaux). The vines here were re-grafted with chardonnay in 2010 by the previous owner, Etienne de Montille. This 2018 white is quite a lot better than expected, as it has good balance and freshness. It is nevertheless from a hot year – so don’t expect miracles. The nose offers vivid but exotic orchard fruits with citrus-infused, earthy minerality; the oak is there, but discrete. On the palate rather rich, but still finely focused by the nice acidity. An enjoyable wine. Premeaux is a treat!
(Drink from 2026) – Very Good (90 – 91p) – Tasted 12/11/2019 CASK – ?
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 2018
The generic Vosne-Romanée is showing well in this vintage, although a hot streak is noticeable. Slight reduction on the nose; otherwise forward and juicy with red and dark berry fruit. It has a fine floral note with plenty of Vosne spices. On the palate, generous and juicy, and the concentration is fine for this level. This is an enjoyable wine in the making, filling the gap below the two village lieux-dits perfectly.
(Drink from 2027) – Very Good+ (89 – 90p) – Tasted 12/11/2019 – CASK – ?
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Colombiere 2018
Not surprisingly, the Vosne-Romanée Colombiere is quite a step up from the generic village. There is also a bit of reduction in this cuvee, but otherwise it’s showing beautifully. The bouquet offers ample fruit, and on the palate, there is rich and generous fruit with 1er cru-like intensity. It will be interesting to follow alongside the new Mugneret-Gibourg Colombiere.
(Drink from 2029) – Fine+ (91 – 92p) – Tasted 12/11/2019 – CASK – ?
You need to login to read the full article. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Lastest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne Clos du Chateau 2009 January 3, 2020
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2009 July 26, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2016 March 6, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 March 6, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 October 17, 2018
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2006 September 6, 2018
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2009 May 1, 2018
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2015 December 15, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2010 December 5, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2011 December 2, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 July 20, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 June 28, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2009 June 21, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 July 7, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 June 25, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 June 24, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes Blanc 2014 March 15, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 March 14, 2016
- 2020 cool in hot yearWhile 2019 is mentioned as the best year in history by some, the word on 2020 is not yet so unambiguous. Yet while it is early, views and preferences are starting to be formed. As an old man – 55 – I have seen a lot, and announcing a vintage as the best ever is not ...
- La Romanée – a hedonistic treatA hedonistic treat is what I am constantly looking for. Not points, not weight, not density, but zen-like balance, refinement, and sheer joy. For me, there are few wines that offer this – along with generosity and effortlessness -as consistently as La Romanee from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. On my July Burgundy trip I had the ...
- Visit to Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – tasting the 2019sIndulgence. Hedonistic indulgence and joy: This what the wines of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair bring me. They have a certain ability to please my palate, to thrill, to seduce. Some more than others, naturally. Yet for me, many have a hint of magic, regardless of vintage and level. The best wines from this estate are almost sinfully ...