There’s still time to get the last 2019 tastings in the book – or should I say on the blog.
Domaine Grivot is a pleasure to visit, taste and write about, like many others in 2019. The vintage and the Grivot style work very well together, as the rather rich fruit is a fine match to the snappy freshness of the 2019 character.
Grivot’s wines are rarely, if ever, over-extracted these days, and 2019’s relatively low yields help create lovely balance in the domaine’s wines.
So with no further small talk, let’s go to Rue de la Croix Rameau!
Impressions from tasting the 2019s from Domaine Grivot
Mathilde Grivot had prepared a tasting of the wines from tank, as she’d done in previous years – how’s that for efficiency!
Domaine Jean Grivot Coteaux Bourguignon 2019
The Gamay is shining with the light of the 2019 vintage. Its vivid fruit and nice, zappy acidity are driven by the low yields and decisive liveliness. Not a big wine, but it has the scent of Flagey. A very enjoyable vin de soif!
(Drink From 2021) – Good+ – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21 –
Domaine Jean Grivot Bourgogne Rouge 2019
The Bourgogne Rouge is 30% down in production volume from 2018. This version has a fresh, lively character, with fine notes of raspberries and variations on cherries. Lovely acidity balances the zappy red fruit.
(Drink From 2021) – Good+ – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21 –
Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée 2019
A positive surprise, and showing beautifully, this has a slightly darkish hint with its bouquet of red fruit, raspberries and generous cherries. It has delicate, sappy acidity, and a nose lined with lilac and violet.
(Drink From 2026) – Very Good (89-90p) – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21 –
Domaine Jean Grivot Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Laviéres 2019
The Aux Lavieres is one of the big surprises of the 2019 vintage with its extraordinary transparency. Full, quite generous, slightly reduced, it has a hint of the classic iron/ferrous characteristic. Quite some emotional weight as well, with its salty expression and serious fruit – boysenberries shining through. Zappy and lively.
(Drink From 2025) – Very Good (88-89p) – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21 –
Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée Bossiéres 2019
The Vosne-Romanee Bossiéres is as always a step up from the regular Vosne. This is really showing itself: magnificent Vosne spices, deep violets, lilacs, peonies and hints of curry on the nose – an explosion of aromas. It’s generous and medium-bodied with a delicate, velour feeling – quite silky.
(Drink From 2026) – Very Good (89-91p) – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21 –
Domaine Jean Grivot Chambolle-Musigny La Combe d’Orveau 2019
On the border of Chambolle and Flagey, the Combe d`Orveau contains a triumvirate of levels, with village, 1er cru and grand cru vineyards spread among quite different geologies. This is from the valley’s southern part, which is perhaps more Flagey than Chambolle limestone. It is vivid, a bit reduced, and juicy, with gorgeous balance. From rather rich soil, the wine shows good intensity and lovely transparency, with Chambolle’s 2019 sappiness.
(Drink From 2030) – Fine (89-90p) – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21 –
Domaine Jean Grivot Nuits-Saint-Georges Roncieres 2019
Sweet, ripe fruit picked at just the right time, it seems. There is a lovely, fresh balance with deep, layered fruit. Darker cherry tones and sandalwood show through. A fine wine.
(Drink From 2032) – Fine+ (91-93p) – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21
Domaine Jean Grivot Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Boudots 2019
Boudots is definitely a big Nuits-Saint-Georges, and this is rich, with an iron/ferrous note. With lively, vivid fruit, it has a complex mid-palate with very good concentration. Typical Boudots – if such a thing exists.
(Drink From 2032) – Very Fine (92-94p) – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21
Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée Les Chaumes 2019
The Chaumes is a step up from the Vosne villages, and offers deeper fruit and a gorgeously silky mid-palate. From the bottom part near the small Georges Noellat house in the vineyard, this is spicy, with violets and lilacs, yet not as expressive as the wines from the top of Chaumes.
(Drink From 2030) – Fine+ (91-93p) – Tasted from tank on 11/02/21
Want to see the rest…?
You need to login to read the rest of the article. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Les Rouges 2009 November 29, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux-Monts 2014 June 5, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Echezeaux 2014 May 23, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Clos de Vougeot 2014 May 23, 2016
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2008 March 19, 2016
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2007 November 30, 2014
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2004 June 30, 2014
- Jean Grivot, Clos de Vougeot 2011 April 22, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2011 April 18, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux Monts 2011 April 17, 2013
- Domaine Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2009 March 30, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2007 March 8, 2013
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2009 April 2, 2012
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 1988 November 7, 2011
- Jean Grivot, Echezeaux 2008 October 13, 2011
- Visit Domaine Grivot – Tasting the 2019s from tankThere’s still time to get the last 2019 tastings in the book – or should I say on the blog. Domaine Grivot is a pleasure to visit, taste and write about, like many others in 2019. The vintage and the Grivot style work very well together, as the rather rich fruit is a fine match to ...
- Visit to Domaine Grivot – tasting the 2018sPlanning tastings in Burgundy is sometimes difficult, as unexpected events can delay the program and – if you’re not careful – cause problems for the rest of the day. The Grivot visit last year came after a lovely tasting at Domaine Dujac, an event that took a bit more time than planned (by me at least). Mathilde ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Jean Grivot, EchezeauxEchezeaux Les Cruots or if you like Echezeaux Les Vigne Blanches is one of the most interesting terroirs in the Flagey-Echezeaux part of Burgundy. Henry Jayer found this to be one of the best terroirs in the large Echezeaux grand cru – and Jayer apparently made a special Echezeaux cuvée from this vineyard. One of the most ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Grivot, Vosne-Romanée Les SuchotsDomaine Grivot has a lovely collection of 1er crus – 9 in total – and the quality of these wines are increasing year by year. The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots is in my view one of the top 1er crus, although both the Aux Reignots and the Brûlées are perhaps more know by collectors. It’s however ...
- Visit Domaine Grivot: Tasting of the 2017s from tankA new year and a new vintage – and back at Rue de la Croix Rameau .. looking forward to taste the Grivot 2017s. The 2016s showed very well in my view, with a lovely balance and intensity – the 2017 are somewhat lighter and more forward offering a more sunny and fresh style than the ...